We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gelato withdrawl

Dahlonega, Georgia
Level Contributor
190 posts
563 reviews
Save Topic
Gelato withdrawl

It has been 18 days since I left Italy and I have to say I went into immediate withdrawal as I boarded the plane. I finally had the time to count the flavors I tasted. Twenty flavors in 14 days. I found great information on gelato before I left on www.italylogue.com/food-drink/italian-gelato -flavors-decoded.html. This site provided me with the customary way to order and Italian phrases to order but most of all the definition and italian for the flavors. Without it in my purse ...well I just would have been another tourist standing with their tongue hanging out looking into the wonderful glass cases of yummy, yummy gelato. Here in lies my question. I hunted down 2 gelaterias suggested by guide book and they were the worst in my opinion. San Crispino by the Trevi fountain was not my favorite at all. Sure they had some oddball flavors like whiskey which I tried. Yuk! ( but my husband like it) but if you go on this site you see others felt the same as it has no charm ( like a sterile lab) and the wait staff has even less. And it is no bargain. Funny how this place gets mentioned over and over again. Then in the Trastevere area I searched for Doppia Coppia which has changed names..rude service and worst ever gelato. ( Found this in the "little black guide book of rome") great guide book otherwise .. small ,compact and great maps! Well here are the flavors of yummy in my tummy ( I am salivating ,hurry please send gelato to hungry american) Chocolates ( white ,baco ,gianduja, choc. mousse, baily's irish cream, biscotti croes, stracciatella ( will trade an organ for this!) Nuts pistacchio, nocciola ( hazelnut), walnut , nutella . Fruit ...coco ( coconut), amarena, lampone ( raspberry), limon ( lemon), pera (pear), pesa ( peach) , kiwi, mango, and banana. If you read up on the flavors before you go you will have a head start. I found many of my favorites shops on the back streets and most were not in guide books. Maybe some locals can reccommend their favorite shop in some of Rome's neighborhoods. I just miss it so much. I dream of it ,,,all creamy goodness and so many flavors left unsavored. A reason to return and you know I threw a coin in the fountain not to find love but more gelato. Miss miss my gelato fix!!

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Fountains, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gelato withdrawl

my favourite is kinder chocolate with wafers mixed in, the other day I tried popcorn it was out of this world.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gelato withdrawl

It's my last night in Rome and had to make sure I had one last fix of gelato, my favourite is also the Kinder Chocolate, stracciatella was also very nice but these were the only two flavours I tried, my wife does call me Chocolate boy after all. :) My wife's favourite was youghurt and nutella flavour but says stracciatella was a close second.

Oh well back to the weight watchers diet tomorrow. :(

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gelato withdrawl

We feel your pain! Our solution was to start making our own. Getting pretty good at it too!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gelato withdrawl

My favorite chocolate one is Tartufo -- found it on Capri also. The best!

Dahlonega, Georgia
Level Contributor
190 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gelato withdrawl

I am going to have to try to make it myself. Is it easy? But I need to find somewhere that sells it. Tried some in a resturant here in Ga. but it was such a disappointment. The owner said an Italian couple delivers it from 2 hours away but it was frozen solid and had a stale taste. Did I mention I had 20 flavors but repeated a few.....I did not gain an ounce while there. I walked it off.....Probably if I do the same here.....I'd be in trouble. I even wore a hole in my shoe....best hint of all when addicted to gelato take the best walking shoes possible and walk walk walk all over and find the next spot to stop for gelato. No really take the best walking shoes ever. You will not regret it

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gelato withdrawl

I've been making gelato myself too. Not difficult at all. You just need an ice-cream maker.

Wholefoods carry "Ciao Bella" and "Massimo." Can't be compared with those in Italy, but not too bad.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gelato withdrawl

Dark chocolate and coffee......ahhhhhh

I've made gelato (using a conventional ice cream maker), close --- our milk doesn't have the fat content (flavor). But experimented with milk/cream and now my grandchildren and daughter-in-law request gelato for their birthdays.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gelato withdrawl

Next time in Rome try the gelato at Il Gelatone on Via di Serpenti, about 100 yards south of Hotel Apollo. For us it's another good reason to stay at Hotel Apollo!!!

italybound@verizon.net

Dahlonega, Georgia
Level Contributor
190 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gelato withdrawl

I am dusting off the ice cream maker and giving it a go Thanks for the encouragement

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gelato withdrawl

I'm hanging my head in shame!

You all know the flavors...by heart?

I just pointed to the ones that looked the most appetizing, then pointed to my mouth. One time I wound up with cherry & I'm allergic. Didn't realize it till I had eaten a couple of spoons.

Guess I have to plan my next trip to work my way up to expert status.

Of course in the interim I can get a head start by being a guinea pig to whoever here is trying to find just the right recipe & lives close to NY :-)