We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

about the hop on off tour buses.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
about the hop on off tour buses.

hi.

as we were told here on trip advisor's forum on the 25th of december most places of interest like museums etc will be closed so we found that it is a good idea for a tour with the hop on-off tour bus.is it working on the 25th? which is the nearest place we can pick it considering that we will stay next to spannish steps?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: about the hop on off tour buses.

According to the Web site, the Trambus Open 110 operates every day, including holidays:

http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?Id=110

I'm not sure, though, that I would expect it to operate as frequently.

There is a map on the Web site.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: about the hop on off tour buses.

The Open 110 tour bus takes only 2 to 2.5 hours to complete it's route, so unless you're planning to get off at several places, it won't really fill your day. Also, if you've already been in Rome for a few days at that point, it may not show you much that you haven't already seen, and you will probably have learned how to get around the city by metro and bus, both of which are a lot faster than the Open 110.

I think the 25th would be a good day to walk around the historic center, stopping in to visit some of the churches that have world-class paintings and sculptures displayed. You might also want to visit some of the Basilicas of Rome, if you haven't already seen them: Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria Maggiore, San Paolo fuori le Mura, and Santa Sabina are favorites of mine.

I recently paid a second visit to Santa Maria Maggiore. The first time I was there, some of the gold mosaics were covered because they were doing some work on them. I also had forgotten how splendid they were. Some of them date to the 5th century. The mosaics in Santa Maria in Trastevere are even more splendid, but they are from a later date, 12th century, I believe.

If the weather is nice, you might want to include a walk in the Villa Borghese Park on Christmas Day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: about the hop on off tour buses.

The open bus does not go very near to the Spanish steps. Your best stop is in Pzza Barberini (from the top of the steps turn right to the end of via Sistina and turn left) or Pzza Augusto Imperatore (go down the steps, cross over and continue, cross over via del Corso). Note on Sundays and holidays the routes change; make sure all the stops are covered on the day you go.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: about the hop on off tour buses.

Don't forget that for €4 you can buy an all-day public transport ticket, and use the metro and buses to visit all parts of Rome and not just where the HOHO buses go.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: about the hop on off tour buses.

I like the hop on/off buses a lot bcz you can see a lot of the city from a high perspective. However, this is only valid if you sit on the upper deck (with roof opened), otherwise you will have the same impression when taking a normal bus, e.g. 116 oder 117, which also connect several nice places.

In December, however, it would be too cold for me. I'd save this experience for a hot summer day.

6. Re: about the hop on off tour buses.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2010, 05:17