We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome - Best Area To Stay

Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome - Best Area To Stay

Could anyone please advise on the best area to stay in Rome. I was thinking about staying near the Train Station for ease with luggage but I am not sure how far that is away from the main sights of the City. Also, any suggestions are cheap but decent B & B’s, Guest Houses or hotels would be appreciated.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome - Best Area To Stay

Hi Gaynor

We have stayed close to the Termini station on earlier visits and had no problems with feeling unsafe.

We stayed at the Mecenate Palace, and what a great hotel. This time we felt we wanted to stay closer to all the action, and have booked at San Francesco in Trastevere Where all the cheap restaurants are located.

Leeds, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome - Best Area To Stay

Not sure on your budget but my partner and I spent 4 nights in August at the Cesari (check reviews on here). It is very, very central, is 5 minutes from most of the sights and was very nice (we walked everywhere - Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Forum, Piazza Navona, Vatican, Spanish Steps etc). A taxi from the station was only about £10, and one to the airport (via the hotel) was only about £30. I chose the hotel because of its location and was not dissappointed.

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome - Best Area To Stay

The city centre which includes the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area is one of your better areas to stay. Ask this questions on the www.Fodors.com forum on Italy and you should get helpful resposes as far as what place to stay at.