We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare to Rome in May 2010

Jasper, Georgia
Level Contributor
216 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare to Rome in May 2010

I've been looking at airfare to Rome for May 2010. Atlanta to Rome non stop. So far, I see the best is $1030 on Delta.

Having been twice now in the fall, I want to try spring. Not in a hurry to book, so I am wondering if I should wait and hope for a sale? Do fares usually change very much from the end of one year until spring of the next? Also want to wait to see if there is a chance I may be able to transfer some Skymiles, but want to be prepared in case I can't find any or accumulate enough.

On my trip last month, we paid 735 RT each. Bought those tickets back in April.

Trying to get the best deal I can, especially since the hotel I just stayed in, Hotel Diplomatic, has much higher rates for May. Just paid 85E per night, and May is 137E a night. Really want to stay there again, but will explore other options. Being my third trip, I think I might be comfortable enough to stay in an apartment alone if I can find a good deal.

If anyone has any advice or insight, I would appreciate it. I'm just not familiar enough with the airlines and sales versus time of year.

Thanks,

Mitzi

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,437 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,815 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

My daughter is coming here in May for a conference and a visit, and, so far, I'm seeing prices in the same range. I'm planning to wait a while, hoping for a fare sale. No guarantees of that, of course.

Royersford...
Level Contributor
169 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

Hi Mitzi

We wo are also looking to return to Rome again in May. This past May from Philadelphia to Rome round trip non stop was $595.00/ea. I hope we can get that lucky again May 2010. We flew USair food & serrvice was great. We'll see next time with all the flight increases. Good Luck Mitzi. I am waiting till hopefully Feb/March to book for May. Watch the airlines are checking TA and all forums and then will raise the fees & fares more.

Also Happy Holidays to All

Margarita

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
boston
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

hi, i am also planning a may trip to rome.experience tells me to wait a bit, but keep checking fares. you never know what will pop up.i'm leaning toward alitalia just because it's direct from boston, and the cheapest

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

This morning I booked our United flights for our trip to Rome and Umbria in October, 2010. I know if I waited, MAYBE the price would drop, but we wanted a particular flight and seats on that flight, as well as the United Miles. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the tickets ($1034.10 each). The price was about the same as our airfare to Florence this past September. So for us, it was a priority to get what we wanted when it was available and when the price was not too frightening!! I also made a promise to myself not to keep checking the prices to second guess my choice!

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

I'm trying to get to Rome in May 10 as well I'm leary of a price decrease since the US economy was so down this past year and looks to be improving. Travel prices may not decline significantly. BING travel tab has a airfare predictor which is awesome. Check it out.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

Last year summer /spring airfare prices were lowest in February. Oil prices were going down and recession was in full swing, so there is absolutely no guarantee that this pattern will remain.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

In midMay 2008 we flew to Rome from Minneapolis and Detroit on American. From MSP it was $839. Fro DTW it was $783. All with taxes and fees.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

I've already purchased my tickets for a trip in April because I found a price I was willing to pay and it had the right connections. I was quite happy with my decision until I just decided to check on the U.S. Airways website (the price is still $100 more than what I originally paid but obviously may still go down - but I decided I really didn't care if it went down since I was happy with the connections) Well - wouldn't you know - U.S. Airways is cutting back flights and 3 of my flights have been changed - and to boot I was never notified!

All the connections that were 3 hours are now 1 hour and 3 minutes, 1 hour and 1 hour and 25 minutes. Now I have to decide whether to change the flight from Daytona to Charlotte so that I leave Daytona at 6:30 a.m. and have a layover of 8 hours or risk a 1 hour and 3 minute rush to the flight that leaves Charlotte to Frankfurt. I'm not happy with the 1 hour layover in Frankfurt since I deliberately asked for a later flight so I would have a 3 hour layover and the flight I chose still seems to be available on Lufthansa's website so I'm going to see if I can get that flight changed back.

I'm not sure if the lesson learned is don't book too far ahead since the great connections you think you have can be changed by the airline but 1 lesson is ALWAYS check your flights to see if they've changed.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

I wouldn't worry too much about a 1 hour layover in Frankfurt. They're very efficient. You would only have to go through security and get to your gate. Any time I've been there, they send people with close connections into a shorter security line.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare to Rome in May 2010

Thanks bvlenci - that does make me feel better - I went through Frankfurt last year with a 1 1/2 hour connection and had no problem. I was just a little concerned that a 1 hour connection might be pushing it - the good thing is it gets us into Florence early in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy