We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

If i am flying from Venice to Seattle, WA with a stop in Rome and somewhere else. Where would i have to go through customs? Would 2 hours be long enough for a layover to make it through customs and make my flight?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,454 Reviews
from US$82.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$410.30*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,831 Reviews
from US$60.40*
US$67.10
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,922 Reviews
from US$123.10*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

There is no Customs when leaving Europe. You would go through Passport Control at the airport where you catch the plane leaving Europe and going to USA.

When taking a flight from Europe to USA, it is usually recommended you get to the airport at least 3 hours before departure.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

You will go through US Customs and passport control at your first stop in the US. It depends on where you make your first stop. If you land at JFK when many other flights arrive, 2 hours probably would not be enough. If you are traveling on one airline from Europe to Seattle, they must give you a seat on the next flight if your trans-Atlantic flight is delayed.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

Forgot to mention something very important.........check your baggage from Rome to Seattle. When you clear customs, you can take your bag to "Connecting Flights" desk, drop it there, and proceed to your flight to Seattle.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
MaineUSA
Level Contributor
851 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

We flew from Florence to Boston via Rome. Our bags were checked to Boston. As a previous poster has said you have to go through passport control in Rome. It's a zoo, but two hours should be fine. That was our amount of connection time.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

Ok so lets say im looking into a flight that goes from Venice to JFK then to Seattle. I would go through Customs in Venice then? Because im going to Rome/Venice in March for a week. Im flying into Rome and looking into trying to just fly out of Venice to save time. But connecting flight layovers are like all less then 2 hrs so i was curious as to when we have to go through customs. But if my flight from Venice is to New York then i would go through customs in Venice so my 1hr 20 min layover in New york shouldnt be too much of a problem right?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
New York
New York
United States
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

Wrong...You would be going through US Customs in NYC.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

ok. BUT if i flew from venice to rome, then id go through customs in rome? even if i had a layover after rome in New york or Canada?

United States
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

No, you will go through customs in the first US city you land in. Even if you go through Canada, you will need to clear US Customs. You may have passport checks in Venice/Rome/Canada but customs is for US entry.

On my most recent flight from Milan to JFK to SLC, I had 2 hours to clear customs at JFK and made it with 15 minutes to spare. One time it took nearly an hour to get my bags and then another 45 minutes in line to recheck them. I got to the gate just as they were calling the flight.

Since that time Delta has streamlined the process a bit with more agents. In November, the conveyor was broken and they asked how soon your flight was leaving so get those bags delivered first. If you have to recheck bags there is only one security line after bag check and sometimes it goes very slowly.

TAB

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

No, Venice to Rome is a domestic flight, no customs needed. You will go through US customs and immigration at your FIRST US stop. If you're connecting in NY, you'll do it there, so be sure you leave enough time.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs/Passport Control on Return trip

You have to clear both Immigration and Customs at your first stop in the US. So you'll have to collect the bags there and then have them sent on.