We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mt. laurel, nj
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

Heading to Rome and Positano next June 23rd for 12 nights. I have read many posts about ATM's and exchange rates and fees. However, I have not seen much about CC's. Are they generally accepted for:

1. Train travel (Rome to Naples/Sorrento and back)

2. Restaurants

3. Historical sites (Vatican, Coliseum, etc)

4. Cabs

Thanks to everyone on this board for their help with fellow travelers!!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

You will not have a problem using a credit card in larger restaurants and for the train. Smaller restaurants will generally want cash. Cabs take cash. Most sites will take credit cards or cash.

Donna

Oregon
Level Contributor
55 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

Great question...I understand most major places do accept. I would ask:

1. Can one buy Roma Pass with credit card (other than on line pre-purchase)?

2. Can one eat at small cafes using credit card?

3. Are best exchange rates/low or no commissions come from Post Offices?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

Many small cafes do take credit cards - some don't you just need to check before you decide to go in to eat somewhere. Most restaurants to take them.

The best exchange rates are with an ATM -

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

Wherever you are in Italy the ATM is the best place to go for cash. Taxis, bars and many small cafes do not accept cards and are cash only.

Always inform your card issuer before you depart that you intend to use it in Italy or elsewhere so that they do not get nervous abouit unuisual use and bar your card from use

mt. laurel, nj
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

Thank you to all who have answered. I intend to have an ATM card, too, but I prefer the convenience and simplicity of using CC's. I use them almost exclusively here at home. I understand that there will be fees associated with this convenience (+/- 3% I think I've read) but I'm already out 50% with the exchange rate so what's another 3% for ease uf use : ) LOL!

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

We found many museums don't take credit cards, also churches. If you are on an art hunt like we were make sure you have cash (euros) for many things. Also the campo de firori the vendors all are cash only; good place for balsamic vinegar and olive oil and fresh fruit.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

The tourist offices that sell the Roma Pass take credit cards at the point of sale. Try to get a Capital One Visa or Master Card credit card, they are fee free.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
117 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

I'll agree with most of what was said. Most hotels and restaurants accept. Train stations accept. The larger museums accept. With that being said, I have found credit card acceptance in Italy to be lower than in most other places in Europe.

Generally MasterCard is the most accepted, followed by Visa and then AMEX. It's not uncommon to find places that don't take AMEX. NOTE: You should use an actual credit card, NOT a debit card. I've seen debit cards (even debit cards that can be used as credit cards) have problems.

Maidenhead
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

AMEX is often not accepted,all the others are ok.

UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Credit Cards Widely Accepted?

From our experience the more upmarket a restaurant the more likely they are to accept a credit card. Do not assume because there's a sticker on the window saying they accept cards that this is the case as often when cards are offered in payment the response is "sorry, our machine is broken". We have learnt through experience that we never enter a restaurant without the means to pay in cash.