We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with 2 kids?

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with 2 kids?

We will be spending 4-5 nights in Rome with our 2 kids June 11-16. I have searched and searched and can't seem to find anything that is highly rated that can house our family. Hotel rooms don't seem to have rooms with 2 queen beds there, and I haven't found any mention of connecting rooms (which might be $$$ if I could find it). I was thinking of renting an apartment but have NO idea where to start or even if that is a good idea for our first time in Rome (first time in Europe for the kids). If anybody has been to Rome and can suggest a good hotel, B&B or apartment that would be big enough for our family of 4 I would be very grateful! Even information on a neighborhood to focus on would help me search.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

In Reply To:

"There are some great apartments right in the historic center called Palazzo Olivia. There are 7 apts or so in the same bldg with a concierge, elevator, all the assistance you would need. Check them out, you should find good reviews here on TA for them as well."

I am glad I read the fine print... "Arrivals cannot take place before 8.30am or after 9pm."... Our flight isn't scheduled to arrive until 7PM, so it would be unlikely that we would arrive before 9PM. That is one of the problems with apartments that have no reception staff.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

I have stayed several times at this hotel, which has at least one quad room; although they don't mention it on the tariffs page.

http://www.hotelarenula.com/homepage.html

If you enter the reservation information, asking for a triple room with an extra bed, you will see the quad room information. They have reductions for children under 12 and children under a certain age (6, I think) stay free. They also have a special offer called "Primavera" at that period for a minimum stay of three nights. You should really call them or fax them and specifically ask about the Primavera offer, which I only saw on the Italian language page. The rate should end up being in the 150-euro-a-night range.

When my sister stayed there with her husband and teenaged son, they requested a triple room, but were actually given a quad room, which even had a roof terrace. (No view, but a nice place to take the air at night.) I don't know if this is the only quad room; it had a double bed and two singles.

This hotel is quite nice and the location is about the best you can get. It's on the edge of the Jewish Ghetto neighborhood, an easy walk to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and the Roman Forum. You can also walk to Trastevere and the Vatican from there, and to nearly every other site in Rome. There are also good transportation options at the nearby Largo Argentina bus/tram terminus.

A continental breakfast (nothing special when I was there) is included in the price. The hotel has efficient air conditioning, which you may or may not need in June. The staff (at least when I was last there) were very helpful and spoke English. The one weak point is that it has no elevator. If the stairs are not a problem, there is no other flaw with this hotel. The staff will help take your bags to the room.

It's been several years since I stayed at this hotel, and I hope nothing's changed. I now tend to visit Rome for very short trips, and stay near the train station. For someone who wants an inexpensive hotel near Piazza Navona, I think this one is ideal.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,226 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

I've found that you've more chance of a quad room in Italy than elsewhere in Europe (when I've been searching on venere for 5 people in 2 rooms it's thrown that up; what I have actually needed was triple + double).

However for 5 nights with kids I'd also suggest an apartment. I've used vrbo.com and holiday-rentals.co.uk. when searching for upcoming trip to Rome. In the end booked through sleepinitaly (a place near Piazza Navona); also good impression of flatinrome (also recommended on TA) but ultimately they had nothing left for my dates. Got good personal service (rapid replies to queries) from both.

Venere also has listings for quite a few aparthotels if you want reception facilities.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

You may want to check the Hotel Barocco, just off the Piazza Barberini.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

Well, I made a decision --- Sort Of :)

I really liked the reviews on the Trilussa Palace Congress & Spa and I had read nice things about the Trastevere area. So, though it is not as central as I desired, I booked their 2 bedroom apartment. They have a wonderful cancellation policy, so I can change my mind in the next 5 months with no penalty.

www.trilussapalacehotel.it/apartments.htm

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

I would look at apartments/ You get more for the money and I would guess your kids would be happier with more room and privacy.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

Hi!

We just stayed in a two bedroom apartment owned by the hotel cortina.very big spacious apartments with two separate bedrooms each with its own bathroom, one wih a shower and one with a bathtub.

There is also a big kitchen fully equipped with the essentials and even some herbs and spices if you want to whip up a simple meal.

The location is near the Termini station but on a side street a few doors away from the main hotel which is on Via national so it is quiet at night.

Check in is at the hotel which is manned 24hours or you can arrange for the hotel transport to pick you up from the airport and the driver will take you directly to the apartment and check you in.

I got a discount for staying 4 nights during the off peak season (we just checked out yesterday) and my rates include a buffet breakfast which was quite substantial for our family of 4 till our late lunch at 3pm on 2days.

Drop Angelo an email and he will get back to you.

He also has 2 other apartments in the building, a smaller one for 3 people and a bigger one for 4 or 5 people.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

The Michelangelo Suite at the Navona Gallery Suites was already booked for our dates. So was Hotel Barocco. Hotel Cortina's apartment was available, but is a bit more expensive than the Trilussa Palace Congress & Spa apartment, and the Cortina requires cash payment which seems difficult - how do you come up with 1400€ in 5 days? ATM's won't let you withdraw that much.

So, I would appreciate opinions on the convenience of the Trilussa's location at the south end of the Trastevere vs the Hotel Cortina's location on Via Nazionale near the Termini. Is there enough of an advantage of the Cortina's location to justify the additional cost and the hassle of switching the reservation?

I had wanted something more central than the Trilussa, but after searching and searching for something that would be comfortable for all of us, I decided the Trilussa apartment was better than a more conveniently located hotel room, and I couldn't find a conveniently located apartment that seemed right and was available

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

I have used Rome-Accomodation 3 times previously with good results for apts. You would have to look through their listings

rome-accommodation.net/apartments-rome.xhtml

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Where to stay with 2 kids?

We stayed at the Cortina Apartments during the off peak season so I paid less than half of 1400Euros quoted for your stay in June.

I simply changed the amount required in Singapore and carried the cash in a security wallet under my clothes.

Sorry not of much help. Good luck in your search and have a Happy New Year.