We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

Every year I purchase between 35 - 40 souvenirs that represent the country I have visited to put in my Christmas Cards that I give to the staff at the school I work at. For example, China: chopsticks w/holder, Egypt: papyrus bookmarkers, Greece: evil eyes. Does anyone have any suggestions for simple and cheap souvenirs that would represent Rome or Italy that I could keep an eye out for when I am there in March. I only will spend about a Euro or so since I will be buying so many and don't want to pack a huge amount. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
803 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

I love your idea of the souvenir reflecting the country. There are several I would suggest for Rome and Italy, that would make a change from the plaster of Paris Pietas and Trevi fountains, etc. decking every stall here. How about one of those lovely little coffee pots you put on the stove, there are some snazzy ones or very simple ones around. Another idea would be a pasta machine or a spaghetti fork. Personally, the best received gift I give from here is a good bottle of Limoncello!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
803 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

Whoops! Didn't see that it would have to fit in a card! Well, the rosaries they sell here only cost around a euro or so, but maybe the recipient isn't religious? How about gluing in some coins? The Colosseum is on the back of one, Leonardo da Vinci on another, I would tell you the precise denominations, but I'm sure someone else can, my purse is empty after Christmas!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

You won't find much around one euro these days. There are lots of shops selling cheapish souvenirs- reproductions of Roman coins is a good idea, a keyring perhaps, bottle-opener, pen or pencil with Rome printed on them? Packets of pasta, although they talke up more room?

United States
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

How about bookmarks with photos of art works or monuments on them?

TAB

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

Thanks for some great ideas. I have some good ideas now. I was even thinking about (if I could find some) crosses with Jesus on them that could be put on a necklace. Do you think I could find some of them in those vendor stalls that are everywhere? They wouldn't have to be on a chain. Also, I usually tape the "gift" to the outside of the envelope so the gift doesn't necessarily have to fit inside of it. Thanks again!

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

Calendars are cheap and easy to pack and the pictures can be framed later. They have all kinds and the photography of special Italian places is great. When I was there a couple of years ago, they were 5 euros.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

It's a shame you're not visiting Siracusa - because you can buy all sizes of handmade papyrus there from the pre-decorated book mark or tiny notepaper sheets, to the large sheet - so if you have an 'arty' person you can take them a wonderful piece of 'papyrus' to paint on.... weighs next to nothing and comes from the cheapest to the more expensive according to size ..... But now you know, for your next trip to Italy - head for Sicily !

I also found that T-shirts with Roman/Italian designs on them were much cheaper the further south you travel.... so they're cheaper in Rome than in Tuscany (same designs) and cheaper in Naples/Sorrento than in Rome !

There are always key rings of all types available in all the souvenir shops all over Italy, and you can usually buy the tiny red horns .... to ward off the evil eye (some call them 'cornucopia' horns...but they are more like a twisted bull's horn). either as key rings, or part of something larger. Or real gold / silver ones at gold prices at the jewellers. Or.... if you go to Naples, you can go to the street called San Gregorio Armeno in the old historic centre, where they make all sorts of little characters and buildings to put in the huge Christmas cribs that are traditional down there.... and one little figure per person wouldn't cost much - anything from a modern political figure to the little animals and traditional Christmas crib characters ... plus a fisherman with his catch or the fishwife with her goods for sale etc. all sizes and prices, made of china or plastic.... you won't find them elsewhere ! If you go to the Vatican, you can buy all sorts of little saints' medals - choose your saint, value, precious metal or not, or 'holy pictures' .... No doubt there'll be some souvenir stall selling miniature Italian flags somewhere ! Here's something new..... light, 'thin' and inexpensive....buy a 1 or 2 Euro bus ticket (don't stamp them, of course !) that they can use when they go to Rome !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

I am deeply disappointed that you do not want leaning tower models that indicate when it is going to rain or aprons that show Davids genitals, however, if it must be smaller and lighter than those, these are some things I have used

# Stamped leather bookmarks from Florence

# little coin purses of soft leather

# paper things from the Il Papiro chain of paper and leather stationery shops including marbled paper

# fridge magnets from some of the sites, eg of mosaics etc

# olive oil soaps

# olive wood things such as butter knives

# prints of Italian sights (sometimes you can get sets that you can break up into individual pictures)

# small desk calenders

# the Franciscan "tau" cross, especially if you go to Assisi (though I would personally steer clear of very religious items such as crosses and crucifixes)

# painted ceramic topped stoppers for bottles, (corks with a knob on top)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

At Campo d`Fiori one of the stalls had wonderful necklaces of Murano glass. Heaps of designs and colors. Saw them all over Rome but they were cheaper and had more styles at the campo. They were a real hit when I brought them home. They were a bit more than a euro though.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
357 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for souvenir gifts that represent Rome or Italy

The Murano glass necklaces at Campo d'Fiori were 5 euro and hugo's advice is the most affordable of the above suggestions. There is enough variety at the various stands (and even at the one stand I bought necklaces at) that you can get all your 40 recipients something different (assuming they're all women). They're not too kitchy, they're very "Italian," and they're lovely.