We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Via Labicana 45

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apartment Via Labicana 45

Is anyone familiar with this address? There are three of us staying here. Would like to know about the neighborhood. Also would like to know if there are any wine festivals schedule for the first two weeks in September.

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

http://www.vrbo.com/32035

This is the link....The place is incredible

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

"I was hoping that we could walk to entertainment in the evening.'

Dinner isn't served til 7 pm in Rome. Restaurants close between lunch and dinner, so early dinner at a real restaurant is usually not an option. Meals are served in Courses at a leasurely pace. By the time you walk or take transport to dinner, Get served (at a leisurely pace), eat dinner and get the bill, your evening is mostly shot. Dinner IS the evening entertainment.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

Hi there,

We (3-6 of us, at different times) just returned from 5 weeks in this pleasant apartment. Marina and Pietro are very nice, the view really is as good as it looks on the web-site! and the apartment is airy , clean, bright, and quite spacious. It's not immediately ON Via Labicana but rather off that street, in the centre of a large block of buildings--you walk through a passageway and courtyard from V. Labicana to get to the building-- and, as you know, the apartment is on the top floor (the 7th in North America). So, barring the occasional yahoo on an especially loud motorcycle, I was seldom conscious of being in the middle of a very busy city though I'm pretty sensitive to traffic noise. The church bells of Santi Quattro Coronati (just a street or two over from the apartment) that ring at about 10 to 8 in the morning are the loudest noise you're likely to hear, and for me hearing those church bells was a great reminder I was on holiday in Rome!. The apartment is quite well set up to cook in (the knives are sharp!) and eat in. I imagine that, like us, you will probably carry many of your meals upstairs to the terrace. Our bed upstairs was comfortable, as were the living-room couch/day-beds; the double bed in the downstairs room is just a roll-away and therefore not wonderful, and the loft-bed in that room a firm futon. From Marina and Pietro we rented a cell-phone (E.35, lots of minutes on it), which sometimes came in handy; they also booked taxis for our arrival and departure, very nice when you're exhausted and have suitcases to lug around and are carrying lots of cash.

The neighbourhood looked a bit tawdry to us at first, but as we sorted out what was where, it quickly seemed a comfortable and pleasant area; as others have said, it's enjoyably outside the central tourist zone, a relief given what the rest of each day is like! So we had lots of opportunity to enjoy practising our scanty and primitive Italian in our exchanges in the neighbourhood shops. Favourites (Marina gave us a very local map with these and others marked, as well as an excellent map of Rome in general): the buffalo mozzarella shop on V. Merulana (15 min.? walk); the butcher across V. Labicana from the apartment; the fruit and veg. stand that's set up most mornings in Ss. Quattro Coronati street (8 min.?); the Di per Di supermarket on the same street, almost at the Colosseum (good deli counter and good prices (check out the E1.99 wine!), though some staff can seem unfriendly); Panella bakery and gourmet foods, towards Termini (relatively expensive but remarkable breads; also a terrific place for coffee and pastry etc. in the morning). Li Rioni pizzeria (near San Clemente; just along from the fruit + veg. sellers) is a welcoming, budget-friendly, popular, delicious place for a salad and pizza (pop in earlier in the afternoon to reserve a table). I Clementini and I Buoni Amici were good too. (Trattoria Luzzi, no.)

A few of our favourite non-food neighbourhood sites: OF COURSE San Clemente, with its historical layers and beautiful Cosmati stonework and ancient mosaics. The Oratorio at Ss. Quattro Coronati (you pay a nun behind a grille 1 E. to gain admission to an astonishing fresco cycle depicting Constantine's life). The walk up to enjoy the beautiful interior of the round S. Stefano Rotondo and then through the old arch under the remains of an acquaduct down the ancient Roman lane, Clivo di Scauro (though on the Google map it's called V. di San Paolo della Croce), to Ss. Giovanni e Paolo, where you can wander through the remnants of Roman houses under the basilica). We were underwhelmed by the condition of the Celimontana park, but then we may be spoiled by living in Vancouver, and it was so pleasant to come back to the apt. and flop or gaze out that we didn't mind.

And the apartment's close not only to the 2 metro lines, but to buses that can get you lots of places the metro can't. Use the Atac web-site to get a set of specific directions (the map Marina gave us also had bus #s marked on the streets, which was soon all we needed), buy your metro/bus tx. right across the street at the tabacchi shop, 1 E. each, for 70 min. (I think) on whatever combo of transit you like, and you're good to go. Though one can certainly walk from the apt. to Piazza Navona or the Trevi Fountain in about half an hour, and we were prepared to walk a lot, we soon realized that we could save some time and energy by using transit to get to the area we wanted to walk around in.

So. . . overall, we thought our stay excellent value for money. I'd go back tomorrow! Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 14 June 2010, 23:02
Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

Thank you very much for the report on that apartment! We're staying there at the end of September. Sounds like it will be as good as we imagine it. :-)

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

Thank you for posting about your recent visit. We are staying at this apartment in October. You have provided some great information. We are looking forward to having several dinners on the terrace! Thanks for the tip about utilizing public transit. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

It's a pleasure to revisit our holiday this way. Let me know if you have any qu.

17. Re: Apartment Via Labicana 45

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 07:16