We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Topic
Luggage locks/Train luggage check

My son is leaving Dallas for study abroad in a couple of days. I am not sure what to do about locking the luggage for the flight. I am assuming that we can lock the luggage w/a TSA approved lock. Is that correct? He will also be on a few flights while in Europe. I know he is traveling to Dublin, Paris, & Madrid & his return trip back to the states will be from Madrid. What about locking luggage while he is traveling thru out Europe? At some point I remember someone saying something about a bicycle lock but I don't recall what that was for.

When he arrives in Rome at 8am he will have 7-8 hours before he meets up w/another group at the airport. They will then be boarding a bus. Someone told him to walk to the train station & check his luggage at the station & then take a train into the city for a few hours. Is this a good idea? What about securing the luggage while it is "checked"? What are the logistics of this plan & how much time should he allow? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My son is traveling w/his girlfriend so there will be two of them- if that matters.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 03:38
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Some people use bicycle cable locks to help secure their luggage on a train. The run the cable through the handles so it would be difficult to take all their luggage. Some wrap it around the luggage rack if they can.

He can check his luggage in the airport and go into Rome by train. The luggage storage is attended at all times.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

That's what I use the bike locks for.

Often your luggage is stored at the end of the car out of your sight.

This way the lock will deter someone from accidently walking off the train with your bag. Just remember to get up from your seat a few minutes before your stop to unlock your bag. The trains don't stay very long in the station.

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Please help w/locking luggage on flights! I am running out of time!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Yes you can lock luggage when flying. I use TSA approved locks. Never had a problem.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

TravelMom411

From your post it seems that your son arrives in Rome at the airport then has some free time before he meets a group at the same airport. I assume same but there are 2 airports for Rome. I don't think there are luggage storage facilities at the airport for security reasons. I may be incorrect.

If that is the case your son would need to take his luggage with him by train into Rome Termini via the Leonardo Express. He can store his luggage there. Depending on how long it takes him to get his luggage at the airport and clear customs he may not have enough time to visit Rome. The train from Fuminico to Termini takes about 35 minutes and costs 11 euro. It is doeable if all goes quickly at customs.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

TravelMom411

Update. Your son is in luck.

There is a luggage storage at the airport. Located on the lower level of the International arrivals hall. 2 euro for 7 hours.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

have you considered letting your son and his girlfriend figure this out?

a young man old enough to study abroad is old enough to manage his arrangements -- in fact part of the purpose of the experience is to be an independent person

and I say this as the mother of a daughter who did such a trip at age 20 and managed such things as arrange to fly to Barcelona by herself from Brussels for an ultimate frizbee competition which she discovered, signed up for for her fall break and made all necessary arrangements for - and lived to tell the tale --

YOU are not running out of time for this information -- he is -- why not leave him to it? honor his adulthood

and re the questions: we don't lock our airline luggage -- even TSA locks are likely to be missing on arrival -- I have a friend who has lost 6 of them on his last 4 trips -- we don't put valuables in the luggage and so far no one has wanted our shoes or undies

train travel is best done with a small bag you can stow near your seat -- if you leave giant bags on the racks at the ends of the cars, a bike cable can be used to secure it to the racks so it isn't stolen at stops -- of course you need to remove the lock well before your stop or you risk missing the stop --

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Many thanks to jerryott & Gbow!

He will be flying into Fiumicino & he can find a storage area at the airport or figure out something else.

Grace-

FYI.

My son is 21 years old & he has planned this entire trip by himself. He is out running some last minute errands so I was trying to help him out a bit.

I continue to be amazed how a simple question gets derailed by people making assumptions. I always just ignore these types of post but today I can't resist! Thank you for your concern regarding my son's adulthood! Rest assure if I drop dead today he will be able to survive quite nicely without me because that is how I raised him!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,923 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Is he also flying out of FCO? As mentioned above, there are two airports and some of the flights do leave out of the other airport - but, I am assuming it is FCO.

If he checks his luggage it will be about an hour to get out of the airport after passport control and luggage retrieval.

Then 30 minutes or so on the train to Termini in Rome - hopefully he will get a train right away or he may have to wait about 1/2 hour to get the next train to Termini - so, that could be 2 hours. Another 30 minutes back to FCO.

And, he will likely need to be at the airport 2 hours before his flight - all of which addes up to about 4.5 or more hours, leaving him about 2.5 to 3 hours in Rome - which, of course, is somewhat doable given that Rome is small. He could visit a few sites - Colosseum and the Forum would be possible.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage locks/Train luggage check

Hi Momcat1992

From reading the OP's post it looks like the son is not flying back out, but rather just meeting at the airport and getting on a bus so no need to go back though security. In this case the short trip is quite feasible. :)

PS TravelMom

My daughter studied in Rome and I helped her out with the details but since then she tells me where to go in Rome LOL