We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air conditioning needed in May?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Air conditioning needed in May?

Hi everyone,

I know this question gets asked a lot but I couldn't find a post from someone wondering if air conditioning is a must in mid-May.

We'll be in Rome from May 14-18. We are looking for a 4-bedroom apartment and as you can imagine, this is not easy to find. I've found a couple of good options but the apartments don't have air-conditioning. Should I rent them and just hope that Rome won't be going through a heat wave at that time? Or should I keep looking?

Keep in mind, we are a group of Canadians and can't sleep comfortably if it's over 22 C in the room : P

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

This is an impossible question to answer - yes, it could get very warm and it may stay mild. It is not possible to predict.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

I agree with mom cat.

why not take this opportunity to do something good for the environment and sacrifice air conditioning?

I am not trying to give you a guilt trip or anything, but just think how much it would help if everyone pitched in and just used 50% of what they normally used..

get some fans instead.

just my 2 cents.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Mid-May can be uncertain as far as the weather. On Ischia and Capri we had not problem with being cool enough at night. But at the end of ther vacation I was in Rome at the end of May, and it was warm. We tried to use the A/c in our hotel room, but the air that came out of the A/C unit was tepid. Luckily it cooled down and the air was cooler outside in the middle of the night.

Being from the great Frozen Midlands myself, I would find an apt with A/c if you are going to be there more than overnight.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

" am not trying to give you a guilt trip or anything, but just think how much it would help if everyone pitched in and just used 50% of what they normally used..":

The Italians can start first with all the heat they waste overheating their musuems, stores, restaurants and lodging in the winter (IE Feb when I am mostly there).

Royersford...
Level Contributor
167 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Hi dom_nique

We stayed in a hotel last May from the 18-29th. The temperature reached 90+ degrees. They said it was the hottest temperature in over 10+ years. Walking around all day in the heat and dirt - we welcomed the air condition.

Please remember the air condition system in Italy is not like Canada or the USA. But something is better than nothing. Temperature I was told was supposed to be around the 70+ degree area.

Good Luck & I'm so jealous - hoping to go ourselves - pending mostly on airfare and the value of our dollar.

Margarita

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

it has to start with the individual.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

May is a real wild-card....might be fine, might be excruciating....totally unpredictable month!

Im not surprised if some apartments you look to rent are without A/C...as it's a luxury Italians don't typically have! (And this is likely why grocery shopping in a nice cool supermarket becomes a favourite activity in the later summer months)

My advice would be to take an apartment regardless of AC status, if the price and location is right. Apartments are well insulated, with thick walls....if its hotter during that time period, just do what the rest of us do: close your shutters to keep the sun out, then open them up at night!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

We've been there in early May on three trips and only had one scorcher. We don't really care about a/c and tend to follow the Italian example of keeping the shutters closed during the day while we're out to keep our living space cool on hot days.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
966 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

I've been in Rome in late June and early September without air conditioning. Maybe we were lucky, but it was never an issue.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air conditioning needed in May?

Yup, you were very lucky indeed.