We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

Hampshire, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

My wife and I really want to visit Rome as a sightseeing trip but would love to hear from anyone who has done this and has suggestions on places to stay and to visit that are wheelchair accessible.

We will have 4-5 days and can be May time or September/ October.

Many thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,966 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,606 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

Here's a piece written that was posted on Slowtrav.com re: accessible Rome:

slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/index.htm

You can check with venere.com to find hotels within your budget and in your choice of neighborhood - from there you will probably need to email the hotels that look of interest to see if they are accessible.

When I was in Rome in October, there were about 10-12 steps leading into the lobby - and a few other areas with steps; one or two up to the elevator platform, down a few to the breakfast room.

Many places will be accessible - some sights may not be (of that, I'm sure) but you could do a refined google search to see what you can learn about those specific sights.

Most of the restaurants that I went to have the restroom downstairs so that is something to check before entering.

It is doable - you will just need to do some background on places you want to see - and, of course, others here will jump in with information for you as well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

Rome becomes more accessible each year so make sure you check the published dates on any info you pick up on the web. In the last decade the city has made remarkable strides in this regard.

Iowa, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

My wife and I are planning on visiting Rome and the nearby countryside for 8 days in April. My wife uses an electric wheelchair. We too have been looking for similar information. I wnat to tell you about a travel agency located in Rome that works with acccesssible needs.

It's called Accessible Italian Holiday. Web site is accessibleitalianholiday.com

They can do complete tours or help with individual needs. We have been working with Mr. Pomarico, who has been very helpful. We are renting a van with a wheelchair lift though him. Driving in Italy should be interesting. He is currently looking for a hotel in Rome for us.

Be aware , we have already found that hotels in Rome are very expensive and very old.

We are looking for a hotel that is centrally located and wheelchair accessible. We will probabily stay near the Vatican.

If you are still looking, check his website out. If you contact him, his email is ep@accessibleitalianholdiday.com Please tell him that Michael Murphy give you his name.

Good Luck

Michael Murphy

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

That slow travel link above is a great post, that's a good source for travel with limited walking ability and/or wheelchair accessibility. I was about to post it myself!

When it comes to apartment/accomodation, just be sure to emphasize the fact that you can't make any stairs at all and need a wheelchair, if this is the case. Otherwise you might find some claiming wheelchair accessible but then having one or two impossible steps they don't always consider. While it's true Italy is getting a bit better about making some things more accessible for us all, it's still not safe to make any assumptions, so be specific :)!

Hampshire, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

Thanks to all posters, I will update after tripwith all details good and bad.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

The SlowTravel article was written by Slow Travel poster Rome Addict. She's still active on the SlowTalk Italy forum, and you might ask specific questions of her.

7. Re: Wheelchair accessible place to stay and visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 05:15