We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleepy Museums in Rome

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sleepy Museums in Rome

I saw a comment from another topic that referred to a Rome museum, it said something like "the guards outnumbered the guests" ...

For those of you who'd like to see some wonderful museums but don't like the crowds I thought I post this topic. Please feel free to add links to your favorite museums in Rome that are less well known and are less crowded.

@
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

Palazzo Venezia. I got an idea of being the only one visitor that morning.

Quite the same story about Villa Torlonia and Villa dei Quintili

Edited: 27 January 2010, 14:16
@
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

Actually there are only two really crowded museums in Rome: Villa Borghese and Vatican museums.

And Colosseo hahaha

Edited: 27 January 2010, 14:19
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

For a list of many of them, and a lot of other stuff, there's this - though as it was produced in 2007 it's not entirely up to date for times, dates etc - however it's more complete than anything else I've seen:

ibam.cnr.it/earsel/…20Areas.pdf

Peter

Edited: 27 January 2010, 14:32
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

Hubby and I visited Case Romano del Celio in September last year, arriving just after 3 p.m. when it reopened after lunch. We were the only ones in there for the whole of our visit, although the curator kept appearing from nowhere to make sure we weren't taking photos!

http://www.caseromane.it/en/index_en.html

Another really quiet museum is the one right in the depths of the Vittoriano - very subdued lighting, lots of statues and quite spooky!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

Palazzo Corsini and Palazzo Barberini were especially sleepy. The Museum on the Palatine is usually deserted also.

Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Palazzo Altemps and the Capitoline Museums had more people than guards but not by much when I have visited in Dec and Feb. I am especially fond of the Capitoline Museum.

I mostly agreee with this assessemt

"Actually there are only ...(three) really crowded museums in Rome: Villa Borghese ...Vatican museums... And Colosseo"

Same thing with the churches. St Peter's or the Pantheon are stuffed with people, and then you go to San Francesco Ripa (with a real gorgeouis Bernini), San Giovanni Laterno, SS Pietro e Paolo (Case Romano del Celio), San Crisogono, Santa maria sopra Minvera etc., and there is often nobody there. That Bernini in San Franceso Ripa is probably safe becaseu it weighs 2 tons and won't fit through the current door on the church.

Edited: 27 January 2010, 14:46
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

Museo di Roma in Trastevere and Scuderie del Quinirale across the road from the Quinirale Palace (President's Palace).

scuderiequirinale.it/mediacenter/FE/home.aspx

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

The Scuderie have always been crowded when I've visited them for a special exhibition (which, incidentally, is all they ever do; the Scuderie are not a museum but an exhibition space).

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

I agree that most Roman museums are uncrowded -- when we were at Villa Giulia there were maybe 20 people in the place -- wonderful Etruscan museum although not quite as wonderful as Volterra's

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

And as for those out at EUR.....!

first-floor.it/rome_tourist_information/rome…

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,922 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleepy Museums in Rome

I've been to the Scuderie al Quinirale about six times and it has never been crowded when I've gone - maybe it is has just been my luck. When I was there in October they had a wonderful exhibit of frescoes, most of which were from Pompeii.

It may have exhibits, but so do many museums have special exhibits. Their next exhibit is one of Caravaggio:

…scuderiequirinale.it/Mediacenter/…

Their exhibits are wonderful - not skimpy, but well thought out exhibits of the chosen art/artists.