We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluejeans in Rome

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Bluejeans in Rome

I wear alot of my favorite bluejeans here in the USA ,but not sure how well it would be accepted in Rome ...Also what's the best way to handle cash requirements ....travellers checks or ATM....Whats the best way to get a decent exchange rate ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

Many many Italians wear jeans. Perhaps wear something a bit more upmarket if you want to go to a really good restaurant.

Don't even think of travellers' cheques: they are dead in Europe. You would have great difficulty getting them cashed, and would pay very high fees (as much as 20%) to anyone who will cash them. Take a debit card and get cash out of ATMs.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

A decent pair of bluejeans is fine. I use the ATM's, only at banks, and have no problem. Look on the back of your card for Star or Cirrus logo and see if the ATM displays the same logo. My bank charges me $1.00 for using a different bank than Bank of Ocean City & no conversion fee. Try to keep some extra cash, sometimes for some reason all the ATM's go down (infrequent, but has happened)

Thx Nick, forgot about the traveler check charges.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 20:55
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

Good advice above. I leave the jeans at home for three reasons. They take up a lot of space in my bag and I travel with carry-on only. Second, they take forever to air dry if you hand wash. Finally, I find that lighter weight slacks are much cooler in the heat of Rome when we travel (late April/early October).

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

At the ATM -

* Remember to look for a "Skimming" Device...

It will look like an extender on the card slot.

* Remember to cover the pin pad with your other hand.

* Do Not accept "help" from a "kind" stranger.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

My bank has a max of $300 per day withdrawl from the ATM. With the exchange rate thats about 200 Euro (mayby 210 Euro). Couple of years ago went to Itay for 2.5 weeks, so I opened an account with another bank for 'emergency' money. (they had the same max per day)

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,009 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

All l wore over there were shorts, but somethings you could not get into. Like they say no traveller checks, only atm. Have fun

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

I always travel with more than one card to get cash at ATMs, just in case one gets demagnetized, lost or whatever.

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

Jeans also take forever to dry if you get stuck and wet in a rainstorm. I travel with lightweight cotton pants that dry quickly when washed or after getting wet in the rain.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

You can and should contact your bank to let them know you are traveling. This way they will not put a fraud hold on your card. You can also have them raise the daily withdraw limit if you want. Do not use ATM's after the bank has closed. If there is a problem there will be no one to help you. If your card does get stuck send a member of your group inside to get help while you stay outside at the machine. Make sure you REALLY cover the number pad well when entering your PIN number.

As for jeans, I wear them all the time in Rome. If you are going to a nice dinner you may want to consider something else but for everyday walking around, jeans are fine.

Donna

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bluejeans in Rome

Plenty of people in Rome wear jeans especially in the winter.

Trastevere

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

outside capitoline

Appian way

inn St Sebastians's on the Appian Way