We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy Week Advice?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holy Week Advice?

Hello!

My husband and I are spending 3 days in Rome sometime between March 27-April 1 2010. We are coming from NYC.

I believe it is Holy Week, and I wondered if there is any advice anyone can give us in terms of what to avoid or be sure to see while we are there.

I was hoping to see the Sistene Chapel and areas of the Vatican, but I am imagining this will be close to impossible without standing in lines all day and being surrounded by throngs of people. We get anough of that living in NYC and was hoping to have a more intimate experience of the city.

Looking for off-the-beaten path ideas, any tips for Vatican trip without the long lines, etc. Thank you!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy Week Advice?

The Sistine Chapel is in the Vatican Museums, purchase your tickets via their website and you can bypass the lines. 3 or 4 hours ago there were some postings regarding this. Easter Sunday is March 28 and Easter April 2nd.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 21:29
rome
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Easter Sunday this year is the 4th. Easter Sunday and Monday are the only days that Rome outside of Vatican and other religious places will be "closed", i.e. restaurants and shops closing - but still a tourist will find enough places to eat.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Typo, thx wine gal

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Yes, I was the one inquiring earlier, we fly in March 26th early am, leave on the Cruise March 28th evening, then return on April 4th ( Easter) abnd fly out April 6th, so were concerrned as well about things being closed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
991 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy Week Advice?

"We get anough of that living in NYC and was hoping to have a more intimate experience of the city."

Being honest here, I found NYC to be much calmer, less hectic than Rome and I know by saying that I am being out there. I am not sure that you will ever be able to get an intimate experience in Rome...these days Rome is full of tour groups with guides that have hankies tied to a stick and despite all the amazing things that you can see in Rome, sadly it is the hankies and sticks that flood my mind.

To see Rome means dealing with the throngs...it is just a fact of life!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Bingo AntTraveler, I found NYC calmer too.

In addition to hankies on a stick - don't forget the umbrellas held up in the air and the matching baseball caps with 50 people in tow.

Going back the end of March (7th trip in 6.5 yrs) because Rome IS the Eternal City.

Edited: 03 February 2010, 22:54
New York, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Thanks for the info and advice!!

I am aware I will be in a thriving metropolis, so I know there will be crowds, but I was hoping to find some romantic restaurants and fun places to stroll.

OK so all that said, I know that Easter is on April 4th. What should we expect in terms of Easter crowds in Rome on the dates of March 27-March 31?

Thanks again!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Oh, for heaven's sake!

The throngs of 50 people are at a few places - the Colosseum, St. Peter's, the Vatican Museums. In most of Rome you will never come across a throng of 50 people.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Holy Week Advice?

The "Easter crowds" only congregate around the Vatican. Italians, who make up a large proportion of Easter visitors, do not turn up before Good Friday at the earliest.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holy Week Advice?

Perfect! That sounds great! I don't mind areas of large crowds--I will just avoid them. :)