We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rental question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apartment rental question

I am thinking of renting an apartment through Rome Capital Apartments for one month.

i see they have had some mixed reviews here in TA.

They also require the whole month in advance, even though the rental does not start until early summer. this just seems like too much.

What do you think??

TIA :-)

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,434 reviews
from US$146.61*
US$162.90
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment rental question

I would not pay a month in advance anywhere.

glasgow
Level Contributor
803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment rental question

Rent it for a week and see if you like it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment rental question

None of the apartment rentals I've seen here or elsewhere demand you pay the entire month up front before you get there - if I understand you correctly. They ask you to make a deposit that in many cases you will lose if you need to cancel but to send money to someone you don't know so far in advance is not a good idea. Not when there are many other agencies that do not require such a thing.

Have you checked Slowtrav.com yet to see other options for rentals - it includes all sorts of useful info from the reviewers as well as links to the agencies and/or property reviewed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment rental question

Trap1:

I can't just book it "for a week and see if I like it", because a weekly rental usually costs significantly more than a monthly rental and then the apartment may be booked by someone else after that !!!!

I have investigated a bit more. there are 4 good reviews on slow trav.

On the agency's website it says they only take 20%, but their email to me states that they want the full month, so obviously I will have to clarify.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment rental question

so I just heard back from the agency. they said they would make put the whole month down in advance because I am staying for so long and that is considered a medium stay. if I were only staying for a few days they would require just 20%.

does this sound right?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment rental question

That is a possibility because if you don't show up or cancel they will likely lose a full month of bookings rather than just one week which is what they probably are dealing with regularly.

If you can afford to do this and feel secure in that nothing will happen in your life that could cause you not to go - since you have read some good reviews about the agency - go for it. But, do get yourself some travel insurance - make sure it will cover this type of loss if something happens in your life that prevents you from making the trip.

I never go anywhere now without travel insurance as unexpected bad things have happened and it is really worth the money that I have paid for it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment rental question

Thanks MomCat!!

one more question:

I usually get travel insurance too, but will it cover the cost of accomodation?

I guess it probably depends on the type of coverage I get.

Ciao!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment rental question

As you said, it depends on the type of coverage you get - I know that some of them do.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment rental question

I've only stayed in apartments in Rome for a week or two and I didn't have to pay until I saw the apartment and found it acceptable, but your situation is different. Y ou may want to investigate some other agencies that represent apartment rentals for medium-length stays to see if they also require the entire month up front. and try to determine if it's a common practice. Find out if there's any security deposit required too.

When I rented an apartment for 3 months in Los Angeles for a business project, I had to give a security deposit of one month's rent + one month rent before I could move in.

10. Re: Apartment rental question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 07:18