We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

I asked this on chowhound and didn't get much response. So I'm hoping for more opinions here.

I'm looking for good food, great wine list and nice ambiance for my daughter and my last dinner at the end of our little vacation together at the end of February. I've been to Il Convivio and know it would fit the bill but think I'd like to try somewhere new. Which would you choose?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

You may well get more personal opinions here, but the person who answered you at chowhound is probably better informed than anyone here is likely to be: she has lived in Rome for over 25 years, has written books and guidebooks about Italian food and restaurant criticism for the New York Times.

If a view would make a difference, choose Imago.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

Yes, Maureen Fant answered, but did she give me her opinion which one she would choose? I've read the restaurant websites and searched various boards but haven't seen many personal reviews so that's why I thought I,d ask here since people here are usually helpful.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

Fair enough, but she did tell you what differentiates Il Pagliaccio from Il Convivio. Having followed her for years, I think she likes both for different reasons and may have a slight personal preference for Il Convivio.

That said, while she is definitely better informed than most TA posters, an opinion is only an opinion.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,086 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

Wow - I just looked at all three sites and they are so very different but their menus seem significantly different from one aother - and all look tantalizing - the view from Imago seems amazing. I will have to put that on my list for my April trip.

These are all three very expensive restaurants and I have often found that such restaurants oftentimes don't have many reviews for some reason.

Hard to imagine going wrong with any of these choices but good luck in your search for other opinions.

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

If Maureen's objective answer was not enough for you, here is my personal one: Given the choice and the means, btw. the three, I would go to Il Pagliaccio. I think they offer better food than Imago and I just personally don't like the stiffness of il Convivio. No views, but great food and wine.

6. Re: Il Pagliacco, Il Convivio or Imago - which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 05:18