We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
553 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

We are planning our first trip to Rome for late September, and had originally picked the Cavlieri since it is a Hilton property and my husband is a Diamond member and would get upgrades... I just looked at the hotel's website and saw that he would not get the breakfast included for free, but only a 20% discount in "winter". (Don't know if 9/29-10/2 is considered winter or not.) The rate including breakfast is higher than the rate for the Villa Spalletti Trevelli, which I believe includes breakfast. And that hotel is closer to the touristy sights we want to visit - Colosseum, Forum, Vatican, Pantheon...

So, realizing that both hotels are exceptionally expensive, if you were going to splurge on one of them, which would you suggest? And if anyone has stayed there, can you confirm that the website's rates include breakfast for both of us for all 3 nights we are staying there? The website says it includes "breakfast x 1" which was confusing to me. Is it a full "American" breakfast with eggs, bacon, etc.. or just fruits and pastries? Thanks for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,513 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
242 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,059 Reviews
Rome, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

definetly the spalletti trivelli. it's right in the center of Rome just 10 minutes from Trevi and 15 from the Colisseum on foot. The Cavalieri Hilton is way out of the center and so not worth it. esp if this is your first time in Rome.

since you seem like you have a high budget, you might have almost limitless options.

sept -oct is not winter in Rome.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

As a diamond member your husband and those staying in the room will get a breakfast and it's apparently an extensive spread. Take a look at the reviews here. Many members comment that is is very good and included with a diamond status.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

are you really going to Rome for the hotel breakfast? the location of the hilton is not worth whatever lavish breakfast you will get.

just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

Puppymama: Thanks for this question. I'm staying at this hotel in March so did a bit more checking about access to the executive lounge for breakfast. It appears the Imperial lounge open from 7am to 11 am is the executive lounge. It does say on the website you need a suite or need to book on the imperial floor but as a diamond member you do get access to this lounge. I called the 1800 Hilton diamond line and they did confirm this for me. Makes sense as the Hilton's all over the world do offer a lounge service to their members and this is no different for the Cavalieri but it is confusing on their website.

The 20 per cent discount is for the hotel restaurant which is stated on the website of the Cavalieri. As diamond members in addition to the executive lounge you get a few more upgrades to choose from ie, room upgrade and free use of lounge chairs at the pool if this is the options you choose.

I wont be able to use the outdoor pool as I'm there in March but it is by all accounts wonderful and is a major draw for many people who stay here. The pics of the pool area look absolutely fantastic and I'v read in a few Rome guides that this pool is one of the nicest in Rome. If you're staying here in September you would be able to use the pool outside and it is often very hot still in September.

Although the hotel is a bit out of town there is a free shuttle bus into town and pick up. Taxis are about 10 to 15 euros if you decide to go that route, not that expensive considering a free stay at the hotel using points. You also get use of the spa and indoor pool as diamond members.

Edited: 08 February 2010, 00:41
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
553 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

The pool is not a big draw for us - we only have 3 days in Rome as part of a 9 day trip to Paris, Rome & Florence, so we will be spending our time trying to cram in as much sightseeing as we can! That was why we were considering the Spalletti since it was closer to the sights. Also, don't think we want to use the Hilton points - 60,000 a night is ridiculous. This will be our last "big" trip we take since my husband is semi-retired now and only wants to work 2 more years, so we will probably save the points for future vacations when we don't have the money to spend. We don't usually spend $500+/night for rooms but I do like to stay in very nice hotels when we travel, and I can't seem to find a cheaper one that has gotten great reviews and is very nice too.

Ginger - since you have checked into the breakfast - do you know what the Imperial Lounge offers? Is is a hot breakfast or just pastries and cereals and fruits? We like our warm breakfasts in the morning - so we don't have to stop for lunch and can keep sightseeing! Thanks for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

Puppymama: Sent you a pm with more info. One mistake I did make HHonour diamond members have access to the Colesso Lounge not Club Imperial.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

I stay at the Hilton Cavalieri every time I am in Rome and love it. It is well worth the points even though it is outside the city. The hotel is wonderful, the rooms are large, there are two pools (one inside, one outside), they have a full spa, one of the top rated restaurants in Italy, a free shuttle to and from the city and wonderful views of the city. You have access to the lounge which is very nice. If you can use your points to stay here for free I would do that.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Cavalieri
Cavalieri
609 Reviews
Rivabella, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

My own advice is to stay in town at the lovely Villa Spalletti if you wish to spend as much time in the city as is possible. I think a lot of the fun of visiting Rome is late at night, strolling along between piazzas and stopping for drinks when the mood strikes. I also find that people like to have the luxury of popping over to their hotel for mid-day breaks. When the hotel is convenient, it makes your trip so much more relaxing and flexible. You just have to decide your own personal preference. Tourists who frequent the city, but like quiet evenings, may be best in the equally lovely Hilton, not minding its more remote location.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

When I put in your dates on the hotel's website, the cheapest room is Euro 462/night ($630) at Villa Spalletti. Here's the website for people who don't know where it's located:

http://www.villaspalletti.it/

For those kind of rates, I would just pick up the phone and call them with your questions. The person answering is sure to speak perfect English.

I would consider the location of Villa Spalletti much better than the Hilton, but still not really in the heart of the centro storico. In your price range are many other hotels which I think most people would consider better locations still. I don't stay in hotels in that price range, but a five star with a wonderful location in the very heart of Rome is Grand Hotel de La Minerve:

grandhoteldelaminerve.com/5-star-hotel-in-ro…

Personally, I would pick location over amenities.

Mentioned in this post
Heart Of Rome
Heart Of Rome
263 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Grand Hotel de la Minerve
Grand Hotel de la Minerve
1,349 Reviews
Rome, Italy
nj
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Cavalieri or Spalletti Trevelli?

No hesitancy in recommending the Villa Spalletti Trivelli. The breakfast is served in a gorgeous room...fresh cakes, cheeses, artisanal yogurts, cereals, meats, fruits, puddings,and more. They must be able to accommodate other requests. We were just so pleased with the quality and level of service that nothing further was needed.

Mentioned in this post
Villa Spalletti Trivelli
Villa Spalletti Trivelli
516 Reviews
Rome, Italy