We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digital photo users. Need help

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Digital photo users. Need help

I have 600 digital photos. I bought the camera 2 days before we left last month. I had a lot of fun using it. The night shot option is awesome. Now how do I get them printed? I haven't downloaded the software that came with it yet? Can I send it to one of those internet places and then they mail it to you? I don't want to print from my printer. I don't want to stand at walmart printing them myself. I really want to put the pictures in an album and not have to go to the computer to see it on disk, when we have friends/family over. This is all new to me. Thanks.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

You can do several things. You could take your media to a photshop that does printing and they will print them for you. They can put them on a CD for you also. Yes, you can upload them to an internet service who will print them also.

Without choosing which pictures you want you are right back where film was. That is if everything is printed, that means the out of focus shots, dark shots, too light shots,everything, will be printed.

There are also lots of programs out there that allow you to put your pictures on a slide show with music and captions if you want. You can then burn them to a CD or DVD so people can watch it on a computer or TV.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

If you're a member of Costco, you can pick the pictures you want from home and then go to Costco and pick them up. Check their website for details.

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
172 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

The absolute first thing you ought to do is burn all the images you have taken to a CD. This way if your digital media is lost or damaged you'll have a backup of all your photos. You mentioned not wanting to stand at Walmart printing them; I wouldn't want to do that either. At many Walmart's however, you can just take in your digital media (CF card, etc.) or CD, insert it in one of their machines, enter your name, phone number and then hit "print all". (Avoid the Walmart "Kodak" brand machines - they are expensive and often prduce lousy prints.) This takes very little time - maybe four or five minutes at the most. Most of the time these prnts are less than 20 cents each, aren't of bad quality and you can pick them up in about an hour. I imagine other big department stores have similar machines too. You could also use image editng software, maybe the software that came with your camera will do this, to go through your images and edit them down to the ones you really to print. You can then burn these images to another CD and take it Walmart (or wherever). That way you'll only be paying to print the images you really like the most. Good luck.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

I was going to make the exact same suggestion as above by "oksooner". The main benefits of going digital are to be able to edit your photos, and not to have "throwaway" prints. For example of your 600 photos you too, probably at least 100 are not worth printing. You'll definitely want to take the time to edit them down.

Good luck!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

oops of course I mean "of the 600 photos you took" not "you too" :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

I used walgreens online - they let me create a Memory book - an actual book, personalized by you. It was a little expensive, but maybe you can just put some "select" pictures in it. I put around 50 pics & paid 43 for my book. They let you put them in the order you want & with captions. I can also send the link to friends & family for them to view the entire book online for free.(& you dont' have to purchase the book)

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

Yes, first and most important is to get the photos onto your computer AND make a backup of that file. From there you can organize into folders for each location visited and put a title to each picture.

Keep in mind that the quality of the photos and eventual prints depends entirely upon the pixel resolution that the camera is capable of recording AND the image size that the camera was set to record when you took the pictures. A camera may be able to record 5 mega pixels, but if the image size, as selected on the camera by the photographer, was 1800 x 1600, then the digital photo that was recorded is 2.88-millon pixels (1800 multiplied by 1600).

In general, a 2.88-mega pixel photo will use about 1.3 MB of memory on a memory card and a 60 MB card would store perhaps 45 images. A 1.23 mega pixel photo (1260 x 960) will use about 600 KB of memory on a memory card and a 60 MB card could store 100 images.

I don’t want to get to detailed, but even with the image size set at 1800 x 1600, the size of the file stored on the memory card will depend upon how “complicated” the image is. A typical mountain scene of green trees and blue sky will take up less memory than a scene of several folk dancers in multicolored costumes.

The higher the pixel number of the record image, the finer the resolution, the more editing possibilities and the better prints you will get. In general, the resolution requirement is proportional to the print size requirement is as follows:

2.0 mega pixels - Capable of printing 8X10-inch or extra-sharp 5X7-inch prints from the original image.

3.0 mega pixels - Capable of printing up to 8 x 10 photos cropped from the original image.

4.0 mega pixels - Capable of true to life photo quality prints up to 11X17-inches from the original image file.

5.0 mega pixels - Capable of true-to-life photo quality prints up to poster size from the original image file.

If you received Adobe Photoshop Elements software when you purchased the camera, put it on your computer. If not, then buy it on EBay.

With Adobe Photoshop you will be able to do all sorts of editing and enhancement of each photo. Even dark or lower resolution photos can be edited to brighten and sharpen the image. A good overview of the software capabilities can be found at: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/ A free tutorial course for the software is at: http://graphicssoft.about.com/c/ec/12.htm

After organizing and Photoshop editing:

you can burn a CD to have prints made,

you could make a MS PowerPoint slide show,

you could make and burn a DVD slide show set to music for viewing on a computer or television.

If you have a Mac computer with iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD all of these tasks are very easy. If you don’t, consider buying one.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

Can someone tell me how to burn my digital pics to a CD? I bought a pkg. of blank CD's so I can transfer my Italy pics to it but am not sure how to do it.

I have a HP Pavilion 750 w/ windows XP. I know that I can take the card to WalMart, etc. and have them transfer the pics (did that b4) but I would like to do it myself.

Many thanks.

Philly Burbs
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

May Zee- Some computers will start up a program to burn cd's simply by inserting a blank cd into the drive.

If that does not happen, then you need to first know if your drive does burn cd's (cd-rw and not cd-rom; info found under My Computer\Properties (select cd drive icon & right click mouse)\Settings). You also need to search your program files for a cd burning application, such as Roxio's.

After that, it's pretty straight forward - select the files and record\burn them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Digital photo users. Need help

Thank you, NJ Traveler,

I do have CD-RW on my computer so I will try that! Thanks so much.