We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

Does anyone know of an independent tour operator who does budget tours like Rick Steves in Rome and Italy?

Thanks!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

Hello pixfield

Take a look at this company for Rome, went on the 3 hour walking tour with a guide who was an American graduate student fluent in Italian and very informative.

http://www.enjoyrome.com/

Lonely Planet might have suggestions as well for Rome and other parts of Italy.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 18:41
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

I don't know if you have your heart set on going with a tour, but if budget is a major concern, you may well find that you can make the trip more cheaply by just doing a bit of research and booking your own flights, hotels, etc. Traveling in the off-season, and getting overseas flights for a weekday (rather than the weekend) can make a big difference too.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

I would encourage you to organize your own trip to Italy. It's a very easy country to travel in, it's even more "budget" than a budget tour, and it will be tailored to your own interests.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

jjkdc,

Thanks for your response.

I have traveled "solo" before, but I must admit, after going with 17 people to Paris last month, it is so much fun to travel with a group of people, hence my post.

5. Re: Tour Company Like Rick Steves, but Not Rick Steves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 07:16