We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

internet-signup/one month?

springfield
Level Contributor
167 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
internet-signup/one month?

We are renting an apartment in Rome for one month that does not have internet. I know there are internet cafes and wifi hotspots throughout the city, but I was wondering if there were any modems or services that we could purchase to have the wifi in the apartment for that month, and/or what the costs would be.

has anyone done this?

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: internet-signup/one month?

a landline is out of the question bcs that takes a lot of time to apply for and get set up etc (longer than a month!)

What you can do is buy an "internet key", which looks like a usb stick that you can stick on your notebook and will then allow you to surf (I think on the 3g net, but not 100% sure about this point). I know there are long term contracts for this and don't know for sure if one can get this as a one time only/one month only thing, maybe prepaid. Maybe someone already knows this but I will also keep my eyes open now and will let you know.

The first site I checked looks like they offer this only as said above (long term) or only as "rechargeable" if you already have an Italian contract.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: internet-signup/one month?

Yes, Wine_gal is correct. The internet keys are a bit expensive, but they can be used again in the future; they function as a modem on a high speed data network. We use one when we travel in Italy, taking a little netbook with us. 3G isn't a network though; it just means "3rd generation" and can be one of several high speed data networks such as HSDPA or UTMS. My key uses whichever of those is available or the slower GPRS or GSM networks when neither is available. (In Rome, you shouldn't have a problem finding a fast network; we travel in rural mountainous areas where it *is* a problem.)

If you have a 3G GSM phone (one that uses a SIM card, such as AT&T or T-Mobile), you may not need the data key, because you may be able to use your phone as a modem. (I assume you're from the US, where GMS service is rare.)

Once you have the modem sorted out, you can get a SIM card for high-speed data services. The card costs 5 euros, and there are various short -term prepaid plans that cost very little (as little as 5 euros for a limited number of hours). For a month, you might want something like the TIM Maxxi Alice plan, which costs 20 euros.

If you go to a phone store, they can sell you the internet key and Sim card as a package, often including free internet time as well. Bring your laptop with you and mention TIM Alice (pronounced AH lee chay). You will need your passport to get the SIM card, and they will have to photocopy it. (Italian anti terrorism and anti Mafia law.)

3. Re: internet-signup/one month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 05:18