We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to Rome tomorrow

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Off to Rome tomorrow

My wife and I are off to Rome with friends for the week. This is our 2nd trip their first. I have been researching our trip for weeks and want to thank everyone who replied to my many posts for your invaluable input. I have made many notes in our Itinerary and have printed the many tips you have offered.

A sincere Thank You to all!

One last question (can't help myself) ... if you had to name one special place you have visited in Rome that isn't well known that you would recommend to others, what would it be?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

I find this place utterly fascinating, and can't wait to see it again on our upcoming trip in September. Although it's far from unknown, it's not quite as well known as the more famous Roman sights. I don't know if anyone has recommended this to you, but thought I would just in case.

Have an awesome trip!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

Thomas

May you, your wife, and friends have a wonderful time!! Please be sure to post your insights and thoughts once you return.

A special place I would recommend is the Basilica of San Clemente

http://www.basilicasanclemente.com

also

sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-san-cleme…

Buon viaggio!!

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

Thanks Hyborian and Caffe

Wow ... this looks awesome ... how much time would you allow to see it? ... is there a cost? ... do you need a guide or go on your own?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,656 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

The website has the information you need - hours/cost. It says it is 5 euros for the excavations.

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

I wish that I could tell you. The last time that I was there was many many years ago when I was a teenager, and I just don't remember those details. I do remember that it was a truly remarkable thing to see. I'm certain that there are plenty of others here who have been there recently, and can fill in the blanks for you.

Enjoy!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

Hi Thomas

It costs 3 euro to go below. It is self-guided but if you look at the links that I provided you you will get an overview of what you will see.

I think the hubby and I spent at least two hours there. I thought it was a very special place.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

thanks MomCat re: cost. that sounds right.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

Thanks MomCat ... I clicked on Information and the screen didn't change ... I failed to realize that it changed the list of sub-menu items on the picture to the right ... this has the times as well

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

Is San Pietro in Vincoli worth seeing. Michelangelo's statue of Moses sounds awesome.

Mentioned in this post
San Pietro in Vincoli
San Pietro in Vincoli
5,056 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,680 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off to Rome tomorrow

Have fun in Rome !

We always love strolling through Trastevere having coffee at Piazza Santa Maria especially in the evening.

EM.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,153 Reviews
Rome, Italy