We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

New York
Level Contributor
860 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

Hi leaving this Sat so arrive Sunday. I really don't want to search for an ATM to get funds. We have about 250 Euros already. But I think some fees may be cash only and we plan a ,arket day etc.

So should I buy some euros here we can get rate 1.45 which is terrible I believe or buy in the Airport Sunday. For most of our 4 days we plan to charge it deal with the 3% fee tacked on by the credit card co later.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

Take what you have and augment with ATM machines only - buying them at the airport will cost you far more than 1.45 - ATMs give you the best rate of exchange so try to use that and your credit cards as much as possible. The 250 euros you already have will be enough for y our arrival and then some.

Also - this is very important: be sure to alert your bank that you will be going overseas - where and for how long. If not, their fraud program may be red flag your account thinking someone is using it fraudulently and then they freeze your card.

It has happened to me - twice. Now, I take the time to make the call to the bank and let them know. You don't want to be there and suddenly find that your ATM or credit card is refused.

New York
Level Contributor
860 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

MOMcat my ATM is a local TD bank card and they don't have a cirrus on it so I cannot withdraw in Europe. So what do you suggest? I can but Travelers Checks here then convert in Italy. Or buy some Euros from AAA rate about1.45 or try Bank America or Chase? Yes I am using my credit card to charge everything but what about entry fees? Do the Colosseum, Forum. Capitaline Hill take Credit?

Advice?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

I found that a number of banks in Rome 1.5 years ago wouldn't exchange dollars or traveler's checks into euros - no explanation given.

If you have to buy traveler's checks you might want to get American Express ones as there is an American Express office right next to the Spanish Steps that you could use to change into euros.

Check with the banks, American Express and AAA re: price of euros - when I recently checked with American Express it was same 1.45 you were quoted from AAA.

Too bad about not having an ATM card as that is by far your best bet - what is it about TD Bank that doesn't make it usable in Europe - I understand what you said, but what is their rationale for limiting it to U.S. ATMs? If you know, of course.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

BrennaBee

Here is an interesting article about traveling and atm cards, you might already know this but I thought it was helpful

…about.com/od/…atm-card-fees.htm

It says there is a limit of 250 euro/day withdrawal in italy.

Also says a Bank of America atm does not charge fees. Any change you could open an account at BOAm and go that route?? Others were mentioned also. Like MomCat said, the call before going is important as my husband has had his account frozen while traveling overseas for business. You just have to call and clear it up, but sometimes with time changes, etc that is not so simple and it can be a drag.

Momcat, will they let you get cash at hotels in Italy, and charge it to your account? We have done this before, but not in Italy, and not in a while.

Good luck BrennaBee.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

janvern,

That article is not correct. Your home bank sets your daily limit. The ATM may set a transaction limit but you can perform multiple transactions. I regularly withdraw 500 euro a day in Italy.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

Thanks for updating that info.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

BrennaBee, Most hotels are not prepared to give you cash. And if they did, you'd pay through the nose.

TDBank is affiliated with Visa and the Plus system. Does your ATM card have the Plus logo? Then you can withdraw cash from any Bancomat. They`re practically on every street corner.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

Agree - even if a hotel were willing to give you cash and put it on your bill, they would charge a fortune for it. There's just no need to get caught out like that in the age of ATM cards.

As I said, last time a friend tried (Sept. 2008) to change dollars into euros - every bank we went to refused to make the exchange - I was astonished. That was on Via Nazionale in Rome and I don't know if things have changed.

You don't actually need to have all that much cash as most places take credit cards.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

"Do the Colosseum, Forum. Capitaline Hill take Credit? "

They did not in either 2005 or 2008. Not only that, the cashiers at the Colosseum in 2005 would yell at people in line for exact change so loud you could hear then when walking by. maybe things have changed?

I bought a Roma Pass with my credit card so that I did not have to wait in line at the Colosseum and use as mcuh of my cash for entries. For a 3 day pass you get 2 free admissions and the rest are half price. It icnludes a lto of sites and Museums inluding the Colosseum, Palatine, Forum, Capitoline Musuem, and Borghese Gallery. Colosseum/Palatine/Forum counts as one combined entry over a 2 day period.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euros on this Sunday - buy Airport or US in advance

Just to clarify, we did not get cash in europe. We got it at a Marriott in the Carribean, and it was $1 for $1, but maybe that was because my husband had a high status on marriott points. There was no extra fee for us, but it sounds like it is different in italy.Good to know.