We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Venice by Train

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Venice by Train

We will be arriving from US on 4/23 and want to buy the train tickets for our trip to Venice on 5/6 at the airport when we arrive, as we are leaving on a cruise on 4/24 and returning back to Civitavecchia on 5/6 at 4 AM.

Since we already have a hotel reservation for one night in Venice on 5/6, we would like to get as early a train as possible from Rome. We have read on other threads that to request a early exit from the ship and that some folks have gotten off the ship as early as 5:30 AM. That is what we planned to do.

My question is that I have pulled off the Rome - Venice train timetables off the Trentalia website. With taking the train from Civitavecchia back to Termini, do you think a 9:45 am train is feasible, or do you think we would make an 8:45 am train. If we purchased tickets for the 9:45 am train and arrive in time to catch the 8:45 am train, can we just ask to be put on the earlier train without an any additional costs.

We do not want to wait till 5/6 to buy train tickets because the room in Venice was not cheap and we would like to try to get the 15% off by buying more than a week in advance. Will be buying gof four adults.

We appreciate any advice and help on this. Don't think I will ever get to see Venice if I don't do it now.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Hi jingles

we did the rome to venice trip last week and bought our tickets 2 days before hand and got a 30% discount - its definetly worth buying in advance it you can. We got the 9.45am and were in Venice at 1.30pm.

The only thing I would mention about travelling to get the 8.45am train, if you are travelling from Civitavecchia to Termini at that time of the morning, it will be rush hour and the trains will be very busy. We were getting the train to the Vatican at 8.15am and had to wait for the 3rd train as the first 2 were too full for people to get one. I dont know if this will effect you coming from Civitavecchia or not (it may not be a commuter route) , but just something to be aware of - you may need to set off a little earlier.

Enjoy Venice and Rome, they are wonderful

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

The heavily reduced tickets are rather inflexible. You can change the ticket up to 24 hours before departure, with certain penalties. After that, they will change the ticket, but you will have to pay the full price for the new ticket. If you just get on a different train with the ticket, there will also be a penalty of 8 euros.

There's an IC train to Venice at 10:36. It's a lot slower, but also a lot cheaper.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Thanks for all your help. My other biggest fear is getting on the wrong train or going in the wrong direction. How can we assured ourselves about getting on the correct train and do we need to validate also on the fast trains with reservations from Rome to Venice.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Your ticket will have a train number on it. Look for that train number on the electronic departures board, starting about half an hour before departure, although sometimes the track isn't posted that early. (It should be listed with "Venezia" as the destination, but even if it's not, the train number is always there. The departures board will show the track number when the train is ready to board. (Track is "Binario", usually abbreviated "Bin") Go to that track number. Finally, to be absolutely sure, ask one of the uniformed railway employees if the train is going to Venice.

You don't need to validate tickets that have a reservation. However, it doesn't hurt to validate them, so if you're uncertain, feel free.

I have a photo album that has lots of pictures of the station and the trains (inside and out):

…google.com/bellemarche/TrainsPlanesAndMetros

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

We just got back from our first trip to Rome, and also took the TrenItalia speed trains to Venice one early morning. Check the departure board, and your destination will say Venezia S Lucia with the Terminal/platform # shown on the right. Once you find the terminal #, there's a big sign to show you the Train #, and time of your train and destination. I was the planner of our trip, and not getting on the right train was one of my fears as well, but it turned out to be quite clear. Also, if you already have seat reservations like we did, you don't have to validate your tickets with the boxes. In fact, we couldn't even locate the boxes on the speed train platform. The conductor will come around once the train is en route to check your ticket. BTW, the speed train is red in color. Have a great trip! We enjoyed our ride very much, and was in Venice in no time! ^-^

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Oh, also, we found Italians to be quite friendly, don't be shy in asking questions. We went to the Roma Termini station to check it out and to orient ourselves before our trip to Venice the next day, and found a lady who showed us everything we need to know about checking the board and how to get on trains etc...

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,740 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

If you buy a ticket for the high speed train you will not need to validate your ticket. It is for a specific train at a specific time. Get there at least 15 minutes before departure in order to find the correct platform. The station is large so it can take a few minutes to walk from one end to the other.

Donna

Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Thank you so very much for your help. I had a look at your pics and they are just what I wanted to see - they are informative in a way that just words cannot do. Very appreciated. Now I know what to look for and how to go about getting tickets. Thanks again

9. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 03:27