We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Venice by Train

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Venice by Train

Thanks for all your help. My other biggest fear is getting on the wrong train or going in the wrong direction. How can we assured ourselves about getting on the correct train and do we need to validate also on the fast trains with reservations from Rome to Venice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

If you have a reserved ticket for specific date/time you don't need to validate.

As to your other question - just check your train information and the board in the station which lists what tracks the trains will be on to board. I'm not sure I understand why you think you will get on the wrong train.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

I guess I am overly cautious. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York so I took the subways all my adult life, but now that i have live in New Jersey and have taken trains from New Jersey into NYC, it took me awhile to feel comfortable about finding the right track and heading in the correct direction.

I guess the language barrier in Italy scares me. Do Italy train signs light up when the approaching train is coming and do the front of the trains say the destination? I guess I remember my first experience in Italy when I was 19 years old and we went from Rome to Naples by train and the ticket agent sold us two round trip tickets because we said two.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

At major stations, such as Rome Termini or Venice Santa Lucia, there are big departure boards showing for each train its departure time, its final destination, the train number, and the platform (binario) that it will use. The train number is like a flight number for an aircraft, and it is shown on your ticket.

Smaller stations will have computer screens near the ticket office showing the same information.

Except for some suburban services, trains do not show their destination and there are no train signs on the platforms. Often there is an automated loudspeaker announcement as a train approaches.

But if you are going from Rome to Venice (or Venice to Rome), you cannot catch a train going in the wrong direction as both stations are dead-ends.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

I think I answered this already on another topic. I suggested you look at my web album, which has lots of pictures and may help you get a feel for the stations and trains:

…google.it/bellemarche/TrainsPlanesAndMetros

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Your information and pictures are a big help. From your responses, by dead end you mean the train starts in Rome and ends in Venice - correct.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Some trains to Venice, especially some IC trains, go on to Trieste, but these trains stop in Mestre instead of the central Venice station of San Lucia. I believe there are also some international trains (to Austria) for example that start in Rome (or pass through) and also in Venice. All of the high speed AV trains end in Venice.

If you follow the advice in this topic, and in my other reply in the other topic, you run little risk of getting lost. Ask a railway official before getting on the train if you want to be reassured.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

By "dead end" I mean that the tracks end at the station. At both Rome Termini and Venice Santa Lucia, trains can leave in only one direction.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

You're going to love you're train ride from Rome to Venice. It's beautiful! I was nervious about the trains too, but even though I knew we were getting on the right train (The departure board at Termini will tell you which "bin" your train is leaving from, which basically means whic track). Even though I knew we were getting on the right train, I checked with the attendants standing outside the train and showed them my ticket, so if you're in doubt, just ask.

That ride was one of my favorite memories, the scenery is awesome.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

Thanks, you make me feel less nervous now with all the good tips.

Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Venice by Train

How long does it take to go by train from Rome to Venice?