We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
201 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

We are excited to visit Rome in late April for two weeks and also want to visit Prague. So we will stay in Rome for 4-5 days then we thought about renting a car and driving to Prague over 2 days(maybe staying in Venice?), staying 3-4 days and driving back over 2 days. We just thought this might be an interesting adventure and allow us to see more of the country than a plane or rail. Also allow us less problems with luggage. Let me know if we are nuts and/or this is feasible. :-) We are mid 30's and a little adventurous and not trying to save $$, but just experience more of the land. Thank you for any advise...its our 1st trip to Europe!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,069 reviews
from US$76.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,853 reviews
from US$124.10*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,649 reviews
from US$57.50*
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

If you don't mind a long drive, over the Alps, go ahead. You might want to consider staying in Salzburg on the way back. I would use viamichelin.com to plan the route. They give you choices regarding "fastest", "scenic" and so forth. They also warn of steep hills and the like, estimate tolls and fuel costs, and give you point-by-point time and distance information.

rome
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

I think this is a lovely idea - we used to travel like this, too. It does give you a much better feel for the country. If you are food and wine interested, consider staying in Friuli region (around Udine) right behind Venice on the way up or down - a best kept secret!

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

If you do this, you're looking at 4 400+ miles days - really can't see much except what you see out the window of an interstate type highway.

Be aware that rental companies restrict which cars they'll allow you to take into the former Soviet Bloc to the cheaper models, and charge a surcharge for the privilege of doing so, so make sure rental company knows you want to drive in the Czech Republic.

Also, in Austria, you need to buy a vignette (road tax sticker) .

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

Yes, mapping this out some more I am realizing it may be too much driving and checking in and out of hotels, etc. Ugh. I am getting "tired head". We have 2 weeks and I just want to maximize what we see, but I understand too much travel/rush is not fun.

Other option: airfare to Praha is cheap, does that make more sense if our main visit cities are Rome and Praha? luggage issues?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

Michelin.com estimates about 12 hours' driving between Rome and Prague. That would be about six hours a day if you do it in two days. It would be a little more relaxed if you could do it in three days.

Many budget airlines have strict baggage limits. You'd have to check with the individual airlines to know the exact limits and charges for excess baggage. The solution is to pack light. I've never heard anyone complain that they hadn't brought enough stuff with them on holiday, and lots of people complain they brought too much and didn't use half of it.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

Although you indicate you want to go to Prague, and you also want some kind of road trip, why not just stay in Italy? Rent a car as you leave Rome, and return it to the airport. There's a lot to see other than Rome.

7. Re: 2 Weeks in Rome, drive to Prague??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 07:17