We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

What's better than getting a free 3-day stay at the Waldorf Astoria? Roman highlights? Looking at Waldorf's website I don't think I'll want to leave the the hotel (it is absolutely gorgeous!!). But then, I am in ROME and how can I not visit the top destimations. Since I enjoy history and culture, the top spots I picked are Colloseum, Pantheon, Vatican, St Peters Basilica, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, Trastevere, Roman Forum and Piazza Navona.

Any advice on how to cover all if not most of the above spots in 2 days? Any time saving ideas such as skipping long lines by buying advanced tickets?

Thanks in advance and will surely post my experience at the Waldorf Astoria

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,983 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

Have you looked at any of the itineraries in the right column on this forum? That should get you started with some ideas about how to group your destinations and sites.

You can also read about the Romapass to see whether it will work for what you want to see. First, you say you have three days then you seem to say you have two - so, not certain which it is but you can get an okay overview of Rome in a few days - nothing too thorough.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

Colosseum and Roman Forum are more or less next to each other. Buy your ticket for Forum/Colosseum/Palatine Hill at the Forum entrance where there is almost never a line and skip the lines waiting to buy tickets at the Colosseum.

In two days, I'd skip the Vatican Museums, but you can buy timed-entry tickets at the official Web site. Or go in the afternoon after 1 or 2 pm when lines are much shorter or non-existent.

Spanish Steps-Trevi Fountain-Pantheon-Piazza Navona are an easy stroll; you can cross the Tiber on the pedestrian-only Ponte Sisto to Trastevere.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

Thanks! I have 3 days at the Waldorf; checking in wed at noon and leaving sat at noon. I meant to say I have 2 full days Thursday and Friday to see Rome Highlights.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

You can easily take the shuttle to and from the hotel. It will drop you in the piazza barberini. From there getting to the sites you wish to see is very easy. On your way to the colosseum you can swing by the trevi fountain. On you way back to the bus swing by the spanish steps.

If you are going to see the vatican and the museums add the pantheon and piazza navona to that day. You can take the metro from Piazza barberini to the vatican museums stop. You can also take the metro to the termini and switch to the other line which will take you to the colosseum. This can save you some time if you are running short.

Donna

rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

You don't have to take the shuttle bus to Barberini to then go to the Vatican Museums. The Museums are just down the hill from Cavalieri. If you enjoy walking, you could even walk down, if not, there are several buses that will take you close.

Vatican Museums & St. Peter's in the morning, then walking over the Ponte dell Angelo to Trevi, Navona, Pantheon, Spanish Steps are easily one (admittedly full and tiring) day, another (easier) day is Colosseum and Trastevere. You could also group the other way around - Vatican & St. Peter's with Trastevere, the rest the next day.

You can pre-book tickets and entrance time for the Vatican museums.

glasgow
Level Contributor
705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

The hotel is great if you do not already have it try and upgrade to the executive lounge it makes all the difference .

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

It would be an awfully long walk from the hotel to the vatican. You can take a cab from the hotel for less than 15 euros if you wanted to visit the vatican first thing in the morning.

Donna

rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

I don't think it is an awfully long walk, it is just above 2k / under 1,5 miles, all downhill. I also added "if you enjoy walking" just in case. The cab ride would cost 10 euros, but a bus is almost equally convenient (you have to walk 200 meters) and costs only 1 euro.

9. Re: Rome Highlights or Enjoy the Waldorf Astoria for 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2010, 06:15