We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Cabs

Elkhorn, WI
5 posts
Save Topic
Rome Cabs

We are arriving in Rome on March 16th. I thought I would pass this info along. I received the following e-mail from Rome Cabs. This sounds pretty ominous, and I hope all works out well for them.

We have you booked for the airport pick up below,

While we are always reliable and on time a big problem arised.

The government is about to change the licensing law for limousine and cab services making it very difficult if not impossible to work for us.

The new law was written by politicians elected by the Taxi drivers.

Off course the Taxi drivers do not like us because we are offering a much better service at almost the same price.

Unfortunately our trade union declared a strike of LImo Cabs NCC on MArch 16th,

There wil be a big March and all of us will go there with our vehicles,in my case 19 family men with their sedans and vans.

That's the day when we have you booked.

There will be big guys picketing the airport making sure nobody of us will be working and the ones working can expect their car smashed,or some people throwing stones putting the safety of the clients in Danger.

The Taxis will be working normally and cost to you hotel will be 40 Euros fixed rate.

For the firts time ever I suggest you use the Taxi for your airport pick up.

They are readily avaliable just outside the terminal.

Please let me know if this is Ok.

KInd regards

Stefano Costantini

Having been prepared to use Rome Cabs for our trip from the airport to our hotel, we are now going to figure out whether a cab or train is our best bet. I remember reading posts about there being 2 different cabs in Rome - one which charges a set fee of 40E and the other possibly trying to charge you more - both white in color but having different logos. Could someone please tell me which cab company is the "official" one?

I am not going to let this put a damper on anything, although it's not a way that I'd choose to start our trip. Italy awaits and we are looking so forward to meeting her.

Sandi

orlando
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Rome Cabs

Dear Kozzmo,

Thanks for your post. We just made a reservation with RomeCabs for our arrival on Mar 17 and got a confirmation from them yesterday. I wonder if they will be able to transfer us on that day? At least I know that if they are not there, not to wait to long. We will just take a white cab marked SPQR? for 40EUR. We will, however, have 4 passangers. Does anyone know if it is the same rate for 4?

Thanks again.......I love this website!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rome Cabs

If a strike is called for 16 March, that is the only day when it will have any effect. There will be no difference from normal on 15 March, and no difference from normal on 17 March.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rome Cabs

I sent Stefano an email about this and he responded that yes, the Italian government passed a law, after the taxi drivers lobbied for it, but since they'r members of of Europe, that law will be nixed by the European parliament. Italy signed the agreement that no European government will pass a law that that discrimates or gives an unfair advantage of one business over another.

He states the strike and march will be on the 16th but they will operate normally after it's over.

Very glad to too hear that such a wonderful service such as RomeCabs will not suffer greatly from this.

orlando
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Rome Cabs

Great! I will be looking for Stefano and RomeCabs on March 17!

One more question. His confirmation states that,

"On arrival, the driver will meet you at the gate after customs(not in the

> baggage claim hall!!!) holding a sign with your name."

Don't you go through customs 1st then claim your baggage then proceed through immigration? Can they meet you at the "gate" after customs?

Thanks, once again!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rome Cabs

After immigration, exiting you will see all kinds of signs be waved with peoples name (or tour company) just past them is the baggage claim.

Edited: 14 March 2010, 20:15
UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rome Cabs

If you are arriving on an international flight (and not from another Schengen area country eg France) you will first go through Passport Control/Immigration. Then you collect your luggage and go through the Customs area to the Arrivals Hall where you will be met by the driver.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rome Cabs

modemUK you are correct, sorry for the jet lag lack of memory........:-)))

orlando
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Rome Cabs

Thanks Modem, that makes more sense. Can't wait until Wednesday, looks like the weather will be better than it has been the past several weeks!

19. Re: Rome Cabs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:17