We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sistine Chapel shutout

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
906 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Sistine Chapel shutout

My wife and I will be in Rome May 21 - 24 and wanted to see the Sistine Chapel (we missed it in 2005 due to the Pope's funeral).

The Vatican ticket site shows no times available for most of May. Is this because tour operators buy them all up? What options would anyone suggest?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

Ticket sales only open up 60 days in advance. Tryt again in 11 to 15 days.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

Even if you can't pre-purchase tickets (they are not on sale yet for those dates as Zerlina says) you can still just show up at the museums and wait in line to get inside. The pre-purchase tickets or tours allow you to bypass the outside line but you still get the same access to the Sistine chapel regardless of whether you pre-purchase or buy your tickets when you get there. Don't worry, if you get to the museums you have access to the chapel- unless some other tragedy occurs.

Donna

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
906 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

Thanks so much for the details. We would have been very disappointed to miss it again this trip. I will be "at the ready" when the 60-day window opens.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

Don't be surprised if it isn't opened up exactly on the 60 days out. I have seen it open sooner but lately they are running a few days behind. Just check back every day as your date draws closer.

Donna

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,022 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

If you intend to stand in line, go at least 20-30 minutes before Vatican opens. The line for individuals can be quite long.

ca
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

From what I saw on many websites, there are no lines after 2pm, or at least thats what they say.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

"From what I saw on many websites, there are no lines after 2pm, or at least thats what they say."

And that works if you are only going to see the Sistine Chapel like 90% of the people going to the Vatican Museums. The Vaticam Musuems are stuffed with great art and artifacts besides the Sistine Chapel.

Even in the off-season, the morning is the worst time to go if you are getting in the line if you have not bought a ticket or tour ahead of time. Sometimes you get off the Ottaviano Metro stop and walk a block or 2 and you can already spot the line snaking down the streets.

Edited: 12 March 2010, 14:04
8. Re: Sistine Chapel shutout

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 06:17