We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy cheap clothes?

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy cheap clothes?

Does anybody know where in Rome it is possible to buy cheap clothes and leather?

Is there a market in the city?

What is "bancarella"? Is this the italian word for market?

(We will arrive 16th april and will live next to Phanteon)

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

Bancarelle are the stalls that merchants set up in a market or on the street. Google Ron in Rome; he has information about the street markets.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

also not sure your style or definition of "cheap" but if you are looking at women's clothing i have been told great things about the "ethic" chain of stores. looks like modern/ trend type styles for women and i've heard its reasonable, but no specific prices (from looking online i would say it looks comparable to zara, etc.)

(i too am looking forward to seeing if i can get any great deals at street stalls- i know its not made to last forever, but still its fun. and i've always wanted a little "ciao bella" tee shirt since the last one i had, when i was 6 years old).

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
805 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

You can get some great cheap and cheerful clothes on the stalls in front of Flaminio metro and Via Ottaviano/Cola di Rienzo, as well as other places dotted around town, especially where there is a covered market. At 10 euros for a pretty sundress, you can't complain.

Some of these are what I class as Chinese tat, but still a bargain, and some are overstocks and seconds, and you can sometimes get some good names with these.

There's a great second-hand clothing fair every Sunday opposite the Ministero della Marina near Flaminio, where you can get retro classics.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

wow great info marina! thanks so much. i'll definitely be chasing these markets down.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

Thank you all. I've search Ron in Romes sites and found a lot of info about the stalls! Fantastics sites!

I'm also looking for some chain shops, like Primark, C&A, new Yorker, I know these are not in Rome/Italy, but I guess italian have some chain shops in the same category.

bps823: do you know where in Rome the Ethic is?

Edited: 17 March 2010, 08:08
sg
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

wow, feeling excited already. The images of the beautiful sundress @ euro 10 is very tempting.

How about in Florence. Is there such market in Florence?

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

IMHO cheap clothing from markets is just that..cheap! they are poorly made and made fron terrible material. They wont last more than 4 washings! If you are an American reading this..stick to Target or TJ Maxx etc.. remember you get what you pay for!!!

A chain store is COIN in Italy. You will find them in many cities in Italy.

If you are looking for fun summer things to just last during your tirp then follow Ron's excellent information!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

ethic stores are listed on the website

http://www.ethic.it/

definitely buyer beware with street markets, but that's anywhere of course, you have to be realistic. that said, i have a couple fun scarves that i've gotten from street fairs/markets in nyc and dc that have lasted me for years.

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

I agree. Sometimes it is just fun to look and see what is there. I don't expect the best quality, but sometimes I am surprised. My daughter and I love the street fairs in DC just to go and have a look. We hope to do the same in Rome. Thanks for asking this question.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
467 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy cheap clothes?

It's taken something pretty special to draw me {temporarily} out of retirement, but this HAS to be worth a mention. Congratulations, Marina... your very own Ministry. Now that IS impressive...!!!! How come no one else has noticed it?