We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you say this in Italian?

Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
How do you say this in Italian?

I've picked up a bit of Italian for my trip, but there are a few items that we will need to buy there that I'm at a loss about.

First, what is Distilled Water in Italian? We'll need to buy some when we arrive for my husband's CPAP machine.

Next, at restaurants/cafe's will they have an artificial sweetner in packets like Sweet & Low or Equal? I like coffee sweet, but don't particularly like sugar. (Although I know how to say sugar - go figure.)

I'm sure I'll think of some other things. Any info would be appreciated and I thought if anyone has any other common american products they need the translation to, this might be a fun thread to start.

Lilion!

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

The words you are looking for are:

Distilled Water = Acqua distillata

Sweetner = Dolcificante.

You will find many different kinds of sweetners such as dietor etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

Easiest thing is to just take a handful of sweetner packets with you because I have found that in some hotels at breakfast, there is only sugar - which is fine because I like sugar, but I've seen other guests ask for it and some places haven't had it on hand.

Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

Thanks! Thought it seemed a little silly to take a box of Sweet & Low with us, but my husband is even pickier than I am about his coffee being sweet.

Will I find distilled water in a store with other bottled water? Or will it be with cleaning supplies? I know it's used in humidifiers, irons, etc. Of course, that's our one "must-have" purchase our first day there. What an odd thing to have to buy, huh?

st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

A website you might find helpful is www.freetranslation.com You type in your English, and they will give you the Italian (or whatever language you choose).

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

When I go to Italy I take Splenda tablets. They come in a small plastic box (about the size and shape of a dental floss container) and there are about 50 tablets in the container...good for the entire trip. Each tablet is about half the size of an aspirin tablet. You can get them at Walmart in the aisle where sugar and other sweeteners are sold. The container fits easily into any zippered compartment of a purse. I carry it with me all the time - my husband and I like sweetened coffee - and he is diabetic and cannot use sugar.

Edited: 18 March 2010, 12:51
Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

You will find the distilled water with the cleaning products!!

You can also find little dispensers of sweetnrs in the supermarkets here.

Easy to fit in a pocket and carry around.

We have reached the 20th Century in Italy too. lol

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

I think you will just have to ask the someone at the store where the distilled water is - you now have the correct Italian word for it.

Your hotel may be able to tell you where the markets are - you will probably need one of the larger supermarkets (that's just a guess as I don't know for sure) and not one of the many small shops with food, etc.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

Any place where I am served coffee, I'm always offered a little basket that contains every type of sweetener under the sun: white sugar, raw sugar, several brands of artificial sweetener, and sometimes even little packets of honey.

Acqua distillata is produced by distillation and is pure laboratory quality H2O. It's not readily found, except in pharmacies. The more commonly found item is "acqua demineralizzata", produced by an ionic exchange process to remove salts and minerals. This is sold in any grocery store for use in irons and other appliances that could get gummed up by salts and minerals. I assume this would be sufficient for your purposes.

Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

I hope Italy has reached the TWENTY FIRST century along with the rest of the earth! LOL!

I appreciate the input. I figured there would be artificial sweetner, but wasn't really sure what to ask for. And while I expect my poor mixture of English and Italian to be sufficient, I did want to know for sure. And of course, I expect that many things I'm used to buying in stores here that won't be there. America is BIG on the fat-free/sugar-free substitutes - not that it seems to be doing much for the size of our collective behinds. (Certainly not mine and that's practically all I ever buy.) Not that I'll be watching my diet in Rome, but hubby especially is big on the sweetner thing.

Thanks for the info on the distilled water. We're staying in an apartment and the owner will be meeting us there. She lives right downstairs and in email has shown to be a very sweet and helpful person. I'm sure she can direct us to the closest chain-type grocery store.

Boston
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you say this in Italian?

Not trying to offend anyone but figured I would put my two cents in.

If you're trying to save calories try Stevia, skip the chemical junk. It's a natural herb that is now being sold as a no calorie sweetener. Trader Joe's sells it and every other grocer too under the name "Truvia". Tastes great too!

It just seems like an oxymoron to ask for distilled water and then add chemicals to it!

I'll get off my soap box now, lol.