We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy Strike - 4/23

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Italy Strike - 4/23

Hi,

Does anyone have any more information on the following:

Italy

24 hours, Friday, April 23 all rail transportation workers and bus services, of local public transport companies.

We are arriving from US on 4/23 and have transport from athe airport to our hotel. We are leaving the next day for acruise and had planned on taking the train from San Pietro to Civitavecchia, but does the above mean there will be no trains on 4/24.

As I do not want to miss the cruise ship, we guess the only option is the cost of expensive transfers to the port.

Any help or information regarding past strike occurrences in Italy or about this one is greatly appreciated.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

if it's a 24-hour strike, it will not affect transport on April 24.

The government agency that rules on strike action says that rail transport will be affected from 9 pm on April 22 until 9 pm on April 23.

There are more strikes called in Italy than actually take place.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

Zerlina,

So, my plans to take the train from Rome St. Peters to Civitavecchia should be okay for the 24th.

You make my day...because it will save us some money.

Thanks so much for your quick response and assurance.

New York, NY
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

Oh no! We are set to arrive in Rome the morning of April 23, and we were to take the train directly to Florence, where we only have 4 nights before we move on to Cinque Terre. Our flights cannot be changed (we booked with miles) and we can't really change our itinerary at this point (rooms booked in small but well-reviewed and presumably popular hotels, reservations at museums, etc.) What are other options for traveling from Rome to Florence upon arrival? Renting a car, taxi? I don't really want to just spend the afternoon in Rome while waiting for trains to get back up and running, since we already have 4 days planned there at the end of the trip. Please help!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,137 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

This site is good for forthcoming Strikes,

www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

New York, NY
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

Thanks Sophie8. I am wondering what my options are for getting from Rome to Florence that day, since it does seem that a strike is currently planned. I've emailed our hotel in Florence (Hotel David) and I am sure they will be able to provide some advice, but thought I might be able to find suggestions on this forum as well! I am considering renting a car at the airport in Rome, and dropping it off same day in Florence, if necessary... Fingers crossed that the strike is cancelled though!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,098 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

I'd rent a car - it is not a long trip at all...but, be extra careful if you are coming from a long flight as jet lag can sneak up on you and make you pretty spacey - but, it is not a difficult drive and it is not far.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

Oops!

Edited: 24 March 2010, 07:46
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

For some, it might be worth taking a look at the note about the services that are guaranteed for strike days, here:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Peter

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

Hi Peter,

I opened up essential services on Trenitalia and if I am reading this correctly, they guarantee service on their trains from 6 AM to 9 AM and then again from 6 PM to 9 PM. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy Strike - 4/23

The "essential service" trains that are guaranteed at rush hour are local commuter trains, which don't go from Rome to Florence. The trains from Fiumicino airport to Termini station in the center of Rome always run during strikes. There are also some guaranteed long-distance trains. To find a train that will suit you, first check out the timetables for your trip on this site:

http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Make of note of the train numbers of trains that are leaving when you expect to be going to Florence. Then, on this page, look for those train numbers:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

The page is in Italian, but you just need to find the train numbers, listed in numerical order in the first column (Treni).

Just as an example, if I look for early afternoon trains from Rome to Florence on the first page I mentioned above, I will see that the following trains leave Rome going to Florence between 12:15 and 1:15: 9520, 590, 9412, 1808, 9522. Then, looking on the second page I mentioned, I see that the 590 is guaranteed to run during strikes. (It goes from Salerno to MIlan, but stops in Rome and Florence.) This is a train that requires a reservation, but I've read that no one checks to see if you have one when there is a strike. Do buy a ticket anyway. If the ticket machine says that tickets are not available, at least get a ticket on one of the regional trains (which don't require reservations). For example, train 1808 is a regional train, which doesn't require reservations, but isn't guaranteed during a strike. If you can't get a ticket on the train you want, buy a ticket for the nearest regional train to your time of departure, stamp it in the little yellow machine on the tracks, and board the first train that's leaving for Florence. You may have to stand at least part of the way, and all of the trains may run late during a strike. At the station, you might see a different train that's going to make the trip.

There are also some buses going to Florence from Rome's Tiburtina bus station, but they don't run very frequently, and may be full on strike days. I don't think they'd let you stand on a bus to Florence. Perhaps someone else knows more about this option.

Edited: 24 March 2010, 13:40