We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do on a monday?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
Level Contributor
332 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
what to do on a monday?

the two things we hoped for are both closed on monday: capitaline museum and ostia antica. anything super cool and fun to do on a monday? we have our 15 year old with us. we'll have been to the scavi tour, vatican, pantheon, borghese, st. peters. and lots of just walkabout. oh...and a tour of palentine, forum and colloseum.

any ideas? cool catacombs or such?

i'd like to go to the caravaggio exhibit but that's not generating as much enthusiasm as i hoped for!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do on a monday?

What about a ride in the glass panoramic lift at the back of the Vittoriano? From the terraces on the top you will get excellent views over the whole of Rome. There is a museum inside the monument, but unfortunately this is also closed on Monday. There is a small cafe at the back, near the entrance to the lift. The last time I was there is was 7 euros to the top.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do on a monday?

This is when having the RomaPass might be handy; on the back of the map you get with it there are full details of 83 various sites, museums etc etc - including their days of opening.

Perhaps the easiest thing might be to move your Colosseum etc tour to the Monday - I'm fairly sure those three sites are all open then?

But if it's a nice day, one of the opentop bus tours might be good.

Churches, obviously.

Otherwise - with no promises of supercoolness - from those listed on that Romapass map (so you may want to cross check times etc for yourself) there's:

Parco della Musica

Bioparco

Citta dell'acqua

The Jewish Museum

Baths of Caracalla

Not a particularly rich crop?

Peter

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
916 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do on a monday?

We had the exact same problem. So, we are taking a cooking class with Andrea Consoli from Le Fate restaurant in Trastevere. Starts about 11:30am and we end up eating what we prepare later in the day. Nice way to spend a Monday! And doing something very different from what we have already done in Rome in previous visits.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do on a monday?

Mondays in Rome previous thread

tripadvisor.com/…22996962

All three of the catacombs on the Appinn way and I think the St Agnese Fuiru Mura in east Rome on Nomentana are open on Mondays, I believe. Not sure about the Priscilla catacombs. Do you need driections?

The Baths of Caracall I beleive are open Monday moprnings.

Anothe think you can do is rearrange yor scheduel and see the Pantheon, Forum, Palatine, and Colosseum on Monday and go to Ostia Antica on different day.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do on a monday?

Here are hours for 2 out of three iof the Appian Way catacombs

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

Tht Domitilla catacombs are aslo open on mondya it looks like.

Besides the catacombs these other Appain way sights are open on Monday.

Sepulcher of Cecilia Metella and Caetani Castle

via Appia Antica, 161

Open: every day 9.00 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.

(closing time varies according to the season)

Closed on 1st January and on 25th December

Villa Quintili and Aqueduct

via Appia Nuova 1092

Open: every day from 9.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.

(closing time varies according to the season)

Closed on 1st January and on 25th December

Hypogeum of Vibia

Villa dei Casali, via Appia Antica 103

Open hours: every day except on Wednesday, from 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 a.m. and from 2.30 p.m. to 5.00 p.m

The Aqueduct park shoud be open since it is outside.

All of these sights woudl have to be reached by bus or Bus and Metro. Teh Appian Way on Mondays is open to traffic, the traffic sppeds along and until you get to the Tomb of Cecilia Metella, there is very little shoulder to the road.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do on a monday?

One can vist all thress of teh Appain way catacombs in one day becaseu they are walkable fron each othe

detail map

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

I ahve never been to the St Sebastian catacombs becasu they are closed on Sunday when I have mostly been there. on Sunday the Appain way is closed to traffic.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do on a monday?

Aqueduct park

www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/dm_aqueducts.htm

Map of the Appian way showing sights and some restaurants

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

click on markder for links tro more info or pictures

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do on a monday?

If you could rearrange your schedule a bit, the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum/Palatine Hill/Roman Forum are all open on Mondays.

There will certainly be at least one catacomb open, as they alternate their closing days. My favorite is the Priscilla catacomb. The St. Agnes catacomb is the easiest to reach from central Rome, and it has other interesting things to see in the same complex, but the catacomb itself is not particularly rich in its decoration. The St. Agnes and the Priscilla catacombs are not much visited, so you usually have a nearly private tour. At some of the more visited catacombs, you will usually be part of a large group, strung out in narrow corridors, and may have trouble seeing what the guide is pointing at.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do on a monday?

The Sant'Agnese catacomb complex is awesome, and there is nobody there.

The mosaics in the ceiling of the Mausoleum of St Constanza were breath-taking

Youn can get there by taking the 90 bus fron termini or from walking fron the Bologna Metro stop

new york city
Level Contributor
332 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do on a monday?

i tried to rearrange our tour on sunday to monday but our guide - who we specifically requested - is not available. so i am giving the suggestions to my husband who is interested in catacomb visits.

a question regarding that: is it possible to do the catacombs in the morning and still do a late afternoon for the carravagio exhibit? (that way, we each get something we want). or is it too far and expansive (the catacombs) to do both?