We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station area safe?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calif.
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train station area safe?

Anxiously awaiting first visit to Rome in February with my family. Should we stay near the train station? Our daughters will be seeing Rome by themselves some of the time. Is it safe for young women at night?

Any hotel recommendations appreciated.(Moderate three star )

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train station area safe?

Like in any place around the world, the area around train stations are not the safest, Italy is no exception.

If you do not have any specific reason to stay in that area, just for peace of mind, choose a different neighborhood.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,565 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train station area safe?

1. train station area in Toronto is safe and upscale with 5 star hotel and expensive condos, so not ALL station areas wordlwide are unsafe, although generally it is so in Europe.

2. I stayed on the south side of the termini and went out day/night till 2-3 AM and it was pretty safe.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train station area safe?

Rutabega,

it seems that you better go to Toronto...

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train station area safe?

It's a bit down-market and seedy, but I wouldn't think it is unsafe. As long as you keep a watch on your cash and valuables, of course. There's lots of people around all day, lots of bars, cafes and some street sellers. You could choose a smarter area of town if this concerns you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
396 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train station area safe?

I stayed at Hotel Rex a few blocks West of Termini, on Via Torino between Via Cavour and Via Nazionale right next to Opera House. I booked it at the last minute through Priceline for $130/night, and at the time was also concerned about appearance of Termini area. Area turned out to be all right. However, I would not put my daughter in a hotel right next to Termini. Some shady characters, urine smell in subway station, soup kitchen van feeding homeless... I have enough of it back home; don't want to see it on vacation. However, it's only on the square in front of Termini. Going West, in a direction of the center, it's all get back to normal after one block. Via Torino is in pleasant area, 20 min walk to Coliseum, two major streets nearby with many restaurants and shops. There are a few hotels on the same strech of Via Torino where Rex is, and I think they are related. It was conveniently close to subway (Termini and P. della Republica) and rail if you need it, but may not be close enough to come back to your room to change and walk back to the center for dinner. There are good restaurants around Via Torino, and one I would recommend is Golto Molto (or something like this, something about brave (or loud) rooster) on Via Cavour, one block or so W of S. Maria Maggiore, on the right side of the street (if facing center). There is an interesting lounge/bar on Via Nazionale a few blocks W of V. Torino; on N side; I remember the toll white polished gates leading to toilet. Hotel Rex was great, with a large clean room, hot breakfast, made-to-order cappucci, and helpful staff. I was considering it for my December trip, but it did not make much sense to me to pay current rate; as much as for comparable hotel closer to tourist sites. Check out biddingfortravel.com for some tips on Priceline bidding. It gives you a list of hotels you can get in Rome if bidding on Priceline.

Philly Burbs
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train station area safe?

It is safe near Termini but only stay in that area if money is the reason and you can't find a hotel close in price elsewhere. It is a very commercial area. It is MUCH better to stay in the historic center, between the Steps and The Pantheon is good. No mass transit needed ever, no long walks and lots going on at all times. No worrying about your daughters and they will thank you for giving them that experience.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train station area safe?

One more suggestion to NOT stay near the train station (unless of course it's that incredible, 5-star station in Toronto).

Don't know how old your daughters are, but mine is 13 and on our recent visit I wouldn't have felt too uncomfortable letting her sight-see during the day, but not sure about the evening alone. It's easy to get a little lost on the streets of Rome and I wouldn't want my daughter getting lost near Termini at night. Yours are hopefully older than 13.

Stay near Piazza Navona/Pantheon area and you'll feel much more comfortable knowing they're wandering around on their own in the evening.

8. Re: Train station area safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 15:18
Calif.
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train station area safe?

Thanks for all the comments. I know I will have more questions.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train station area safe?

My 15 and 17-year-old daughters and I stayed near Termini this summer. It was quite seedy on the side toward the city and Coliseum. The other side seemed a bit better. Early one evening, while walking from our apartment to the station, a young man lunged at my oldest daughter, scaring her. After that,the youngest refused to go out after dark. We stayed in that area because it was cheaper, but it negatively colored our whole trip. Next time, I plan to stay near Piazza Navona, no matter the cost.