We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the airport to our apartment

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from the airport to our apartment

Hello all,

First let me say thanks so much for all the great advice I've been able to find in these forums! They've made planning our trip during Easter week so much easier.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to get from the airport (FCO) to the apartment where we are staying: Viale delle Milizie (corner with Viale Angelico). I'm looking for a combination of cost effectiveness as well as ease of use.

I'm a pretty seasoned traveler in Europe, my last trip to Rome I didn't book hotel beforehand and just had a "go with the flow" attitude that was a blast. However, my husband has never been to outside North America and is nervous about many of these details, so I thought I'd get some tips here.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

1. Leonardo Express to Termini (€11 each), then take metro Line A towards Battastini, getting off at Ottaviano station, which is one block from your hotel.

2. Private car and driver such as www.romecabs.com for €45. Your hotel is not within the old walls of Rome, so the fixed €40 taxi fare from the airport does not apply.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

I would second the private cab option. While your hotel does not apply to the 40 Euro fixed rate, the cab ride should not be too expensive (maybe 40-50 Euros) as that part of rome is fairly easy to reach from the airport.

rome
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

You can also get the sitbus shuttle from fco directly to Piazza Cavour for 8 euros per person and then take a bus (1 euro each) to your appt - only 4 or 5 stops.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

Great thanks for all the tips.

One more question: Does the 11 euros for the Leonardo express include the trip on the metro all the way out to Ottaviano? Or will there be another charge once we get into Termini?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

There will be an additional 1 euro charge. You must exit the express train and get on the metro. Two different trains, two different fees.

Donna

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
602 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

The cheapest option is the other train FR1 to Roma Tuscolana, much cheaper than the Leonardo Express (5.50 euros); then coming out from Roma Tuscolana you can go on your left and after a little walk you'll reach the metro station Ponte Lungo. In Ponte Lungo you can take the same metro A you'd take in Termini, to get in direction Battistini to Ottaviano.

The idea to walk (a little) between Roma Tuscolana and Ponte Lungo can sound bad, but notice that the Leonardo Express often stops at the last platforms of Termini, far from the core of the station, and you'd have to walk too to reach the metro.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 18:45
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

Sorry to hijack this post. I will be staying between Vatican and the historical city, but on the western side of the river - so the 40 Euro taxi won't apply to me?!?!

So if I book through say either romecabs or airportconnection does my location still considered as "city center"?

Also, is there other (FCO) shuttle service that one can "share" and a bit cheaper? I don't mind "sharing" as long as I can get there in "reasonable time" without worrying much (arrive at 8pm after 30+ hours flight)?

Thanks,

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

Hey BW - The flat rate doesn't apply to us either. We ended up booking through www.romeshuttlelimousine.com. They gave us a flat fee of 40 E for the trip to that same general area.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

Convenience, time, safety, and lack of schlepping bags on trains & buses, for 45 euros I find it hard to beat RomeCabs. Yes, there are many ways to get there, but after a flight all I want to do is see that driver with my name on a card, get in the vehicle and relax. Next stop, our hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from the airport to our apartment

BW: There are no shared shuttles in Rome.