We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Don't be taken in by the friendly man outside urging you to come in to his family restaurant with the freshest food. First off, the food was not all that great; in fact it was our least favorite meal in Rome. Secondly, you are given bread whether you want it or not, and you will pay 2 euros per person for it. And you will not be treated like family. The worst part for me was the waiter saying service was not included in the bill when the menu states it is automatically added (12%).

I wish we had followed advice about not going to an establishment with employees outside urging you to come in or to a place that obviously caters to tourists, with the menu in multiple languages. That is sound advice, and if you want a good meal in Rome, I suggest you follow it and avoid Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,360 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

I always tend to stay away from restaurants that send out touts. The good ones don't need them and don't use them.

donna

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

:(

That's really too bad, but yes, the advice you've heard is generally right...no place that is decent needs a catcher outside to annoy you, and if the menu is in more than 2 languages, it's not usually a good sign. (in fact i find places where there is actually no menu at all but a host or chef are the best!).

The bread thing can happen lots of places, but usually as long as you don't touch it you can get them to not charge you for it.

Lesson learned!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Actually, I don't trust places that don't have a menu unless I've heard about them from a friend who can vouch for them. I've been burned by restaurants without menus (not in Rome, though).

roma
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Yeah, the lesson is dont come on holiday here again!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,360 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Cicoriamama, I don't understand your comment. Why would you say such a thing? The OP is just warning people of the mistake he made. He says he knew not to do it but did it anyway and has learned from his mistake. Why the rude comment?

Donna

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

it is very unwise unless you are local and know the owner to eat at a place without a menu -- Roman restaurants are masters of bill padding -- even with a menu, it is not unusual to see dishes added or dishes charged at a higher price than what was on the menu

it is apparently not considered unethical to cheat tourists -- tourists need to beware -- and absolutely never eat in a place with a tout -- we made the mistake once years ago at a place near the Spanish Steps -- never again -- this was a place that simply didn'[t bring my meal after repeated reminders -- until finally my familiy was finished -- and we signaled that we no longer wanted my order and would leave

THEN they got all puffy about us having ordered and we couldnl'[t leave without paying -- (familiy members had had antipasti and two courses and nothing had yet been brought for me) -- we stood up and made a scene using our limited but effective Italian to denounce the restaurant (we were on an outdoor terrace) and declare them to be cheats -- at that point they settled up fast to get ride of us -- the waiter was so flustered he left off the antipasti (while smugly adding a service charge)

we managed to disuade 3 parties approaching the place to go elsewhere -- and I noticed the Japanese tourists who had been treated badly throughout (e.g. paid coperto but given no bread although charged for it) were beginning to speak up (this was when bread was part of coperto)

so -- it is a culture of cheating tourists in the central spots -- it is wise to take care of yourself -- we love Rome, but we are not such fools as to not notice when we are being taken advantage of

Turin
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

<The worst part for me was the waiter saying service was not included in the bill when the menu states it is automatically added (12%).>

This is very, very serious. He could be fired for that. As a general rule of thumb you should send an email to local newspapers to complain about Rome restaurants. Nothing works better than a tourist's post on the Rome section of the Corriere della Sera forum.

Anyway the fact that it's called "bread & cover" charge says it all: bread is considered a fixed cost like forks and knives.

You should understand that Italians can't even imagine not eating bread during a meal. I remember that my grandmother didn't want us to start eating if the bread wasn't on the table. She thought it was "wrong", not just rude. In her dialect bread was used as a synonymous both for "job" and "life"!

When I was a student sometimes I worked as a waiter. If somebody had told me that they didn't want to pay for bread I'd have tought they were funny, strange or miser.

On the other hand the "bread & cover" charge requires that a customer's bread basket is always full and you can't bring the bill unless they don't ask for it. Maybe it 's 3 AM and you are very tired, but you can't rush them out of the restaurant.

Now don't make me start with the "waiter my pasta is raw" stories...

Edited: 28 March 2010, 14:59
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

My husband is part owner of a bakery, and the cowners are always lamenting that people don't eat bread any more. In fact, younger Italians eat much less than their parents' generation did.

In the Lazio region (which includes Rome), it's now forbidden to automatically charge for bread.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Bravo Napo!!! Next time I would suggest to call the Carabinieri or Police (113 is the phone number) instead of writing a letter to a newspaper......it's called fraud and punished by laws. Here you are some reviews; I suppose it was not a general optical illusion.....

…yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2785522-la_tavernet…

travelmuse.com/pois/…la-tavernetta-sistina

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d11…

Cicoriamara, I would change attitude......with your arrogance you are simply proving us that you are not fitted for the food industry.....

Ciao Daniela

roma
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ristorante La Tavernetta di Pepi Claudio - Don't

Im not "suited for the food industry" (being a bit fat but I am on a diet!).

The reason why I wrote sucha rude comment about coming back here is because I dont think that this city should be given the prestige it has as being a good location for tourists nor be allowed to charge such high prices for such a mediocre service.

Thats all.

A dopo