We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

I suppose I should have ordered on-line, but I really didn't think it was going to be this hard. I've been unable to find a gounded adapter plug for Italy anywhere and since we leave in nine days, it's not likely I can order on-line now and get it in time. I've found the two-prong ones for other countries, but not the three plug Italian ones. We're bringing our laptop with us and I was wondering if there we will be able to find the adapter's there, maybe at the same place we pick up our disposable cell phone?

Thanks!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

I have a 3 prong plug but seldom use it. Most of the outlets I've plugged into are 2 pronged and if you have the 3 prong plug it can't go in. I didn't take my 3 prong plug on my last trip. Italy uses the 2 round 4mm prongs and if you get a grounded plug it has the third one.

Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

Isn't it a bad idea to use the two prong plug for my laptop, instead of a grounded one? At least, that's what they say at Radio Shack! LOL!

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

You only need the 2 prong one. In my Italian apartment last summer, none of our outlets had 3 holes, only 2. It's the standard "european" 2 prong adapter. I used the 2 prong one on my hair straightener, camera charger, i-pod, and laptop. No problems all summer! I did need to buy a larger, 1500 watt adapter, that you still have to place another 2 prong smaller plug on top of, when I wanted to use my hair dryer. (also had to buy a hair dryer that was only 1500 watts, as my normal conair one was 1875...an expensive summer...). See if you can overnight order the adapter online...otherwise, I don't know ow easy it is to find adapters...I didn't really have to look. You could always just pay to use internet cafes and leave the laptop at home.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
260 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

You should be able to find one at the airport shops. International terminals have them available for purchase. Failing that, many hotels have them if you ask (probably left behind by other tourists, so you cannot count on it).

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

Why would your laptop need a grounded plug?

The power bricks should be double insulated and the low voltage side to the computer is only 2 wires anyway.

The mains power cord on my laptop only has 2 wires, so it certainly isn't grounded!

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

My Dell laptop has a two prong plug but my wife's Acer Netbook has a grounded three prong plug. Now that I think about it, my previous laptop also had the grounded plug as well. They obviously can vary for some reason.

Edited: 29 March 2010, 21:22
Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

I know ours has a three prong plug. But if the outlets aren't built for a grounded plug it won't matter. I'd leave it home, but my husband wants to take it. We're in an apartment, not a hotel, so I guess it will be handy for things like mapquesting the directions and distance to places we want to go.

That being said, I looked over the website of our apartment a bit today, (Just getting excited, you know?) and they actually say they have a PC with internet for our use. So I guess it's kind of a moot point!

We have a 2-prong adapter, so I think we're good. Still, thank you everyone!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

I took my Samsung netbook and only need the two prong adapter - I used it for cell phone, i-pod and computer - all was fine.

If you are really concerned, order it on Amazon and pay extra to get it delivered in time - I ordered mine on Amazon and it is fine.

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

I'm in the same boat as you Lilion as we have rented an apartment as well. We were going to bring my wife's netbook along with us due to it's portability, but since I noticed on it's website that the apartment has it's own computer, we'll leave the netbook home. One less thing to carry.

Edited: 29 March 2010, 23:01
United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I be able to buy a grounded adapter plug easily?

ive never seen a 3-pronged plug

all the outlets (and adaptors) ive used in italy have always been 2 prong

you can easily buy an adaptor set at drug stores, airports, travel stores, electronic stores...they are easy to find both in Italy as well as wherever you live

your laptop should also be dual voltage, so a cheap adaptor plug is all you need

i travel a lot & am in italy now by the way, so i promise you have nothing to be worried about haha