We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the story on tipping?

bel air
13 posts
Save Topic
What's the story on tipping?

To tip or not to tip in Rome?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
713 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the story on tipping?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k29663…

ciao.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the story on tipping?

SPQR,

How do you paste the web address like that?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,707 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the story on tipping?

Reiterate what has been said before. Italians tip very little. Waiters etc are paid a salary which means they do not have to rely on tips to gain a decent living wage.

If you get an extra service, over and above what you could normally hope to receive, then a tip is a nice way of saying thank you. But for standard service, no extras, then no or very small tip - just the loose change from the bill.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the story on tipping?

We just returned from Rome and Venice. In 2 restaurants were told that service was not included. In 2 others a 10 percent service charge was added at the bottom of the check.

Look at the check, if nothing added then you can leave a small tip if the service was good.

Mike

bel air
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the story on tipping?

I'm still not sure about bell boys in hotels and cab drivers.

6. Re: What's the story on tipping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2005, 17:41
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
713 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the story on tipping?

sorry suburbanite,

i'm afraid i don't understand the question...

i just found the page and copy/pasted the address in the url box of the browser.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the story on tipping?

It's a hyperlink - all you have to do is click on the web address you provided in the text and it will open on your screen in a separate window.

When I've copied and pasted seveal web adresses it is not a hyperlink. The reader will have to copy, then paste it in the address bar in order to open the website.

Yours (the hyperlink) was a more direct route.

I hope I explained it adequately...........

However, I noted the web addresses you provided today, for the lady who wants to go to Venice for a day trip, was not a hyperlink.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
713 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the story on tipping?

ah! now i get it...

well, those that appear as hyperlinks are copy/pasted from somewhere, the one's that don't are the ones i typed directly in the message window.

so probably when i copy/paste it the browser understands it's a web address and pastes it with html tags.

don't know if it makes any difference, but i use a mac and safari browser.

ciao.

10. Re: What's the story on tipping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 15:17