We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

We are going to Rome on Tuesday. It is my wife's 40th birthday and I want to take her out. I don't want expensive, top end. Just a good meal where we can experience Italy/Rome at it's best. Any recommendations would be welcome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

Can you provide some sort of price range? I know what I mean by mid-range, expensive or inexpensive but it means something different to different people.

Also - are you looking for a view of the city? There are so many terrific restaurants in Rome - have you looked at the restaurant reviews here at TA to get some ideas?

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

£25-£35 a head, I would say. Views are also good but I work in a hotel so good food and service are also important to me!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

Sorry - I don't know what the current currency exchange rate is for pounds to euros.

colorado
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

I would go to the Ghetto. Al Gigetto is an old and wonderful restaurant serving Roman Jewish cuising, right next to the ruins of the Theater of Marcellus. You'll need reservations. If it's nice, try to sit outside.

Also in the area, Al Pompiere is another venerable place serving Roman Jewish cuising, with great service. Neither is extravagently expensive.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

Sorry - 29-40 euros, but I could stretch a little more as it is her birthday and we are on holiday!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

This place is on the site where Caesar was murdered - and, if you go even if you sit outside be sure to go downstairs - it is pretty extraordinary - you can see some of it on the website photos.

To keep price down, get the house wine - it has always been fine for me and saves quite a bit of money. If they bring bread and you eat it, you will pay extra for it so if they bring it and you don't want it, wave it away - this is for all restaurants, not just this one.

http://www.dapancrazio.it/

If you stick to just having a pasta, a dessert and some wine, you should stick within your budget and you could probably split an appetizer as well.

If you like octopus carpaccio or grilled calamari this is a great place to get both -

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

One other fave of mine:

http://www.pierluigi.it/e_index.asp

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

Excellent - look great. How do I choose?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

Look at the menus - see if what they offer looks good to you. Be sure to make reservations and note the days that restaurants are closed.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best value restaurant for a couple looking for great meal

A 2nd vote for Pancrazio - very nice people, good food, tables outside - though it may still be a bit chilly in the evenings?

Have a stroll and aperitivo or cocktail somewhere round the Campo before you eat.

Here's our bill from summer 2008 - no sign of a bread charge though we must have had some. Think we paid about the same last time...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/116774975

(I'd not recommend that Frascati by the way!)

Their site does however say they're closed on Wednesdays, if that matters?

Peter