We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Although it's been running for almost 30 years now, there doesn't seem to have been much mention here on TA of a very handy little bilingual magazine they give away in Rome's hotels - which contains an enormous amount of useful information for visitors.

"Un Ospite a Roma - A guest in Rome" is also available for download as a PDF and it's well worth getting - even if at present the site still only has the February edition.

Start here:

http://www.unospitearoma.it

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

No one?

Peter

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Very nice publication & helpful, thanks Peter.

Among other things, such as events & weather), it also includes info on Archeobus, Metro, bus, links to museums & vatican.

I'm saving it to my Italy Favorites. Never saw it in any of the hotels I've stayed in over the years. A few weeks ago I stayed in a B&B, no publications at all. When I return in Sept will definately look.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 18:11
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Just to note that the April edition is now available for download - either by using the "Magazine" drop-down menu and selecting April 2010, here...

http://www.unospitearoma.it/

or, directly, on this link:

unospitearoma.it/images/…4_2010.pdf

Among the articles, there's one on Testaccio's new exhibition centre - "La Pelanda, A New Space for Modern Art" - and another on “EASY ROME”, a new guide for visitors on avoiding swindles.

That's being given away free by the way, so don't get conned into paying for one!

Peter

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Very interesting reference-thanks for the tip. These pdfs are going directly to my iPhone (or iPad, if Mrs W let me get one!) for use on our trip.

Scotland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Grazie Peter ( again ! )

'Un Ospite a Roma' has to be the best resource ever for what's on in Rome.

There is so much info re restaurants/shopping/cultural events....

The April edition has an article on the return of street food ; where Puccini might shop in Rome. If you click on ' cultural events and leisure' - there are links to galleries and opening times/fees - even where they are eg Borghese Museum is clearly shown on map.

Also, bi-lingual pdf - great for Italian beginners :-)

Fantastico !!

M.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Glad you like it!

And yes, with the added benefit of language training that seems nicely free of the sort of howlers that so often appear - like these, websites on an island not a million miles from Ischia.....

It is begged to attend our written comparison to consider the booking confirmed.

Apparently, word of mouth between the many intellectuals, writers, artists and aristocrats, led to the extravagantly huge palm tree used to talk about and find the hotel becoming the emblem for unassuming, never ostentatious, but always extremely tasteful hospitality.

The Hotel *******’s bars, in the late afternoons, is the place where to relax with an aperitif on the terrace or where to have a drink while reading in the comfortable halls with a view of the sea. After dinner, when the moon silhouetts itself in the sky as it brightly lights up the night, the lounge becomes a meeting point for the guests wishing to enjoy fully the view's enchantment and the atmosphere's magic which Hotel ******* only is able to give to its guests.

Peter

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

>>Never saw it in any of the hotels I've stayed in over the years.<<

That's because it's published by the Chiavi d'oro, the association of concierges. The publication is distributed to hotels with concierges, but only concierges who are members of the association and entitled to wear the "golden keys." Relatively few hotels have concierges who are members.

There's a similar publication in Venice: Un ospite di Venezia.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

There's a list of about 50 participating hotels in the 5, 4 and 3 * categories at the back of the magazine, however it's definitely circulated more widely than that - we've picked it up several other, less glamourous, places over the years, and as recently as February last.

But I'll bet you'll find it now that you know to look - though if you don't, there's still the PDF to fall back on.

Peter

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Thanks for that Peter.....we never stay in Hotels (unless its a one nighter on departure) so will never be able to get a copy of this in apartmenti-land.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'A Guest in Rome' - good info source...

Of course it's not unknown for those considering staying in a hotel on their next visit to wander in and have a look round.... and if there just happened to be the odd leaflet or two to pick up, it would only be natural for them to do so - wouldn't it?

After all, it's presumably the advertising (stripped from the PDF for some reason) that has supported this handy freebie for so long, so the bigger the circulation the better!

Peter