We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

We will be staying in an apartment near via dei Gracchi and via Silla for a week in October, and I would like to find a location nearby to do my daily 3 mile run so I can stay ahead of the extra calories I'm sure I will be taking in while in Italy. The nearest open areas I see on Google Maps seems to be either inside the walls of Vatican City (no, I'm not really serious about jogging at the Vatican-I probably couldn't even get past the guards in my jogging gear, let alone jog there!) or the grounds of the Villa Borghese, so I may also need to find a gym with treadmill or elliptical trainer if that is the only viable option. TIA.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

Between St. Peters & Castel San't Angelo there is alley that leads to the entrance to Janiculum Hill (Gianicolo).

Near Savoia & Lungotevere Gianicolense intersection on the left of Savoia (you'll see a tunnel for the cars) is a set of steps (not very welcoming), go up the little alley and straight ahead is the Bambin Hospital, go to your left a little up the street you'll see steps (look a little right) leading up to the park. It's a beautiful park and its uphill and quite large, the end of March I saw a lot of joggers.

There's gorgeous overviews of Rome to and at noon in the Piazzo Garibaldi (large statue of him on a horse), below the wall they roll out a cannon and shoot it at the noon hr.

You can traverse the length and actually exit at Trastevere.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

Forgot to add in re: Parco Gianicolense. There are no cars, the portable panini/gelato/bottle water stands are there. Puppet shows are put on during the weekends and a little down (toward Trastevere) there is a pavilon with a small carousel. Restrooms? "Apparently down by the bar....."

Edited: 13 April 2010, 22:37
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

I agree that the Janiculum Hill will offer the closest options.... take a look on Google maps for "Passeiata del Gianicolo" and use street view to help you plan how to connect up to it. A jog down via Garibaldi (although traffic might be a bit hairy at the switchback near San Pietro in Montorino) to via della Lungara might make up part of a good loop for you depending on how long you like to run. The river roads (the Lungotevere, meaning along the Tiber) might be appealing but there will normally be a fair amount of traffic on them. If you are happy doing laps you could run them at Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus). Finally, the Villa Borghese has lots of paved, traffic free paths.

A google search turned up this:

http://www.run.com/city.asp?loc=Rome+IT

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

No, the closest and best is along the Tiber - not the streets, but the lower level directly along the river with no traffic. It is at the moment a bit dirty because of the mud brought by the last "hightide", but my husband runs there every day.

If you want a treadmill, there is a rather modern gym on the corner of Via Giulia Cesare/Marcantonio Colonna. I know they have a 10visits card but not sure if also a shorter term thing.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 23:12
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

Thanks-lots of good ideas. The treadmill is not my preferred option-I will use one if I have to, but I much prefer running outdoors if possible (Southern California has spoiled me on that front, for sure). I found Parco Gianicolense (it's 2.6 km one way from our apartment-not bad), but I will have to play with Google Maps and the directions here for a bit longer to make sure I have the right route. Villa Borghese also sounds like a nice option, and it is about the same distance away as is Parco Gianicolense but appears to require a walk or run on some busy looking streets to get there.

The run.com web site has some other pretty interesting routes-I'll have to spend some quality time reviewing the long list of possibilities there.

The riverside jog sounds intriguing-is it scenic (I have read some rather unflattering reviews of river cruises on the Tiber), and are there paths to jog on both sides or just one side? I took that approach on our recent trip to the UK-jogging along the Kennet & Avon canal paths (Bath) and along the Thames in Battersea Park (London) was a very nice way to get away from the hubbub of the city without having to leave the city proper, and made room for that evening's goumet dinner and got my endorphin fix at the same time.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

The riverside is beautiful but you might find the exhaust fumes a bit daunting at the hours of the day when traffic is at it's peak. The reason boat trips are not well reviewed is because the flood walls are so high that a river cruise affords very limited views of Rome. Be aware that the Janiculum route has a good climb in it... so if you only like the flats you might be in for a surprise. That said, the views are worth the climb. In the historic center there will be a lot of cobblestone so take that into consideration as well.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

Google Street View from several bridges bear out your comments-from the river level, it is clear that all one could see are the retainer walls and a few houseboats here and there (do people live on those houseboats?). I usually run a flat course, but I don't mind some hill work, especially if there is a suitable prize at the end. It seems like early morning might be the best time-avoid the worst of the traffic and exhaust, endorphin boost for the day's sightseeing, back to the apartment with some nice Italian pastries and cappucino for breakfast with Mrs Webdweeb-sounds like a good way to start the day.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

EternalCity1, I posted a link to the run.com site for Florence routes on that forum, where there is a similar posting by Kris127-thanks again for the link. No if only someone had an Italy version of walkit.com...

rome
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

Eternal city, as I already said, there is no traffic and no fumes at the river level jogging/bike trail. I wouldn't call it beautiful, it is not like running in a forest, but it is a level and long trail.

webdweeb, the path on the trastevere/Vatican side is always there, on the other side (city side) it is not always available. A river cruise I wouldn't recommend either, as there is nothing nice to see and you are paying for it! But for a run it is ideal. Look for example at Ponte Cavour on google maps street view (facing north) and you'll see the river level trail.

Edited: 14 April 2010, 06:37
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running or Jogging Facility/trail Near Prati?

Wine_gal, we're not considering a river cruise-it doesn't sound very attractive or a good expenditure of our short time in Rome. The river path sounds like the easiest to access, and the absence of traffic is perfect. Can I assume that the path will not be subject to high water and muddy conditions in October? I'd hate to get washed out into the Mediterranean while jogging and leave Mrs Webdweeb a widow! :-)

So I'm still wondering-do the Tiber river houseboats have liveaboards?

Edited: 14 April 2010, 07:07