We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

My trip cancelled - supposed to be in Rome right now :(

I need some advice on how to handle a situation with my hotel, or if I should just drop it.

The hotel has a special cancellation policy where if the stay is within three days before or after a holiday they can charge for the entire stay if cancelled within fifteen days of arrival. The holiday that is affecting me is April 25th.

So - the hotel charged me the entire stay, basically saying that they know the cancellation isnt my fault, but it isnt their fault either and they shouldnt have to loose money. They said I should apply to the airline to get a refund.

Ok, I get where they are coming from, but on their website they specifically list holidays that apply (1st of May, 2nd of June, 1st of November and 8th of December). April 25th isnt listed.

Am I within my rights to question this? When I did the hotel said that I should have know about it since I was visiting their country or should have asked. (which would have involved some psychic ability I dont have)

Am I screwed? Should I take it up with my credit card company? Should I drop it? Are the airlines actually reimbursing for this?Advice please.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

If you didn't have travel insurance, taking it up with your credit card company would be your best bet. Often they give you the benefit of the doubt and put the burden on the merchant. Good luck.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

I recently had an overcharge billing issue with a hotel too. At first, they were very uncooperative. I also contacted my credit card issuer, Barclays, to initiate a dispute and they were pretty much worthless. I decided continue with the hotel and work my way up the latter. Eventually, I was able to come to a mutual agreement with the hotel.

Is this hotel part of a change or single proprietor? Establish the ownership chain and move along those lines. given the incredible situation, I would hope they would be willing to work with you.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

I agree with Ron.

The airlines are definitely *not* reimbursing for hotel rooms. They've got enough to deal with with $ 1.7 billion in losses, more than they lost after 9/11.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

Hopefully you have copies of the terms, if so, take it up with your credit card company. Ron-Phoenix is correct, the credit card company gives their customer the benefit of the doubt and will 'freeze' the charge in question until the 'dispute' is rectified. You just need your written documentation. Good Luck and soooo sorry you didn't make your trip.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

Oh, and for your credit-card company, you can print a Google Translate version of this page from the Comune di Roma to prove that April 25 is pretty much a *non*-holiday in Rome:

http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/&targetPage=/Homepage/Area_Content/Rubriche__Primo_Piano/Attualit-13-/info370389784.jsp

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

Stonica

Here is another thread regarding your problem on another Fourm

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k35601…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

I hope you have a print out of the list of holidays from their site because they are probably going to change it now that it has been brought to their attention.

With that info your credit card company may well side with you. The hotel was trying to redirect you so you wouldn't bug them by telling you the airlines would pay for this cost.

Good luck!

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

Oh, trust me, I have saved everything. Snapshots of their website and all of the emails we have sent back and forth to eachother.

I was really hoping to resolve the issue, I was more than willing to pay the one night stay that is listed under their nomal cancellation policy. Oh well.

Thanks for everyones input.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

While you're at it, take a copy of the equivalent pages in the Italian version - so as to demonstrate that the April holiday isn't listed there either.

Peter

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions please...I will try not to whine!

wow, they did change there website to include the 25th.

thank goodness i took a snapshot before that happened...