We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warm Rome weather;

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Topic
Warm Rome weather;

I am here in beautiful Roma - the weather is very warm and a bit humid - more than I expected, but Roma is always a bit of a surprise.

I've been doing my usual wanderings throughout Rome - all via foot as I am not inclined to use public or private transport while here. And, it is lovely and lively - very busy.

I have had some wonderful meals - some in old haunts; some in new places. At Navona Notte (an old haunt near Pizza Navona) I was a bit surprised to see that printed on the front of their extensive menu book, that they don't charge servizio - "only tips" - a new one on me. I have never seen it written out so clearly before.

Everyplace else has, always been above board. I wave away the bread as I am not a bread eater and the "pane" charge does not appear on my bill - everything else on the bills has been accurate to the penny.

Except a place I ate at in the Jewish Ghetto - I had a wonderful meal of thinly sliced raw artichokes, parmesan all lightly tossed in lemon. Excellent. I had a half bottle of white wine and an espresso. I had waved away the bread.

The bill arrived with a charge for "pane" - when I pointed out that I didn't have the bread, the server fingered the tablecloth and said it was really "coperto" - I said - No - there is no "coperto" in

Rome or anywhere in Lazio - he got a bit nasty. I said that I was fully aware of the law and I was not stupid - eventually they took away the bill and came back with a bill without the "coperto" - it was a small amount but I dislike when places like this live up to the worst of the reputation of the city.

I have been here for five days and no other restaurant has tried to pull this over on me -

I asked why if it was "coperto" the bill said "pane" - not surprisingly, they could not answer.

The only good thing from that experience was the excellent food - which is no small matter.

If you are in Rome now, find places that are incorporating the wonderful fava bean into some dish on their menu. And, as always take advantage of the magic they can make of anything involving artichokes.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,434 reviews
from US$146.61*
US$162.90
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warm Rome weather;

MomCat

I am pea green with envy!!!

artichokes all Roma and fresh fava beans!

sorry to hear about the bill dispute. good for you pointing out the error.

have you ever eaten at La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (it's near the Colosseum)

(Via Madonna dei Monti 16) if you still need places to dine

enjoy your trip and keep us posted!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warm Rome weather;

Momcat: Someone reported a similar experience at a restaurant called Ba Ghetto in the same neighborhood. I wonder if it's the same place. Here is the previous post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k34961…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Warm Rome weather;

I will have to check my receipts to see if it is the same.

That was just one teeny glitch in what has been a wonderful six days so far - no place else has charged me for something I didn't order - everyone has been helpful and nice - as always.

There is such a different attitude now than many years ago about people who just order one dish - instead of the three courses. In all the places I've been I've seen a lot people from all over the world eating much less than what was expected back in the day - and, I've not seen any gruffness from servers.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Warm Rome weather;

I agree: Disapproval of less than the three-courses minimum is almost totally gone. Gruffness, on the other hand, is still the mark of some Roman waiters of the old school, who are now fast disappearing.

It's unfortunate that a few places like Ba Ghetto - if it was Ba Ghetto - still prey on tourists.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Warm Rome weather;

I plan to dig out the receipt when I get back because people should be aware of this deception.

It was such a small amount of money but I just hated that they were doing it with such a smugness. All those small amounts of money add up to a lot of money for them - of that I am certain.

Most of the servers I have had since I have been here have been a pretty serene bunch - except for at Costanza - which I loved by the way - when they got all animated when I asked if the scampi were fresh (as other places had frozen) - they came in a bunch and had me get up from my table and they took me over to where all the seafood was to show me that not only were the scampi fresh, they were also alive. They were so cute! - the servers, not the scampi. They were very proud of their live shellfish - pretty adorable.

I'm starving right now not having really eaten today but having to wait until after 7:30 to go for dinner....

I saw the wonderful Edward Hopper exhibit yesterday - Fondazione Roma Museo (Via del Corso) - not exactly a Roman thing to do but it really is a terrific, huge exhibit. Much from the Whitney in NY but I loved seeing it here because there were hardly any people there -

They are keeping the Caravaggio exhibit open until 11:00 p.m. - that is how popular it is.

Ciao

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warm Rome weather;

Have you seen the Caravaggio exhibit? We're going to see it in a few weeks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,028 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warm Rome weather;

Yes - it is excellent - well displayed. They purposely only displayed authenticated Caravaggios - as, apparently, there are many out there in the world that are considered of the Caravaggio "school" which have been mistaken for the real thing - but, this exhibit only includes the authentic work.

You will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,629 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warm Rome weather;

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I hope you can find the name of that restaurant so the rest of us can stay away from it.

Keep it touch and have fun. Can't wait to hear the full trip report (or should that be *read* the full trip report) ;-)

Donna

9. Re: Warm Rome weather;

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:20