We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good city maps

So Cal
Level Contributor
401 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
good city maps

Would enjoy input from anyone who has found particularly good, easy-to-read city maps of Rome, Florence, and Venice. It would be nice if these were maps that we could procure now, in the planning phases of our trip, (versus the kind you pick up at the visitor's center or whatever after you get there). Anybody know of some good ones we can order on-line or find at a local (U.S.) bookstore?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,672 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good city maps

Take a look at MapEasy's maps of Rome, Florence, and Venice. They're sort of cartoonish but have a TON of info on them. Restaurants, coffee houses, bars, bus stops, parking, metro stations, stores and shops, hotels, churches, etc. You can see them at www.mapeasy.com/products.cfm?location=78 and order from there also. Cost is $7.95.

They're also available at bookstores, amazon, etc.

Another plus is that they're very tear resistant and waterproof. I've used ours a couple of times to stay dry or to sit on.

italybound@verizon.net

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good city maps

I like the Streetwise ones, easy to read, laminated, you can add your own notes to them. Our Rome one has lasted us through two trips and looks to last us through the next as well.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good city maps

I also like the Streetwise/Artwise map series. Redmaps and Insight Fleximaps are also very nice.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
884 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good city maps

Our's is a Pocket Pilot -

It folds up to about 3 x 3, very sturdy laminated. It's lasted us through 3 trips and is in great shape for this year. It does concentrate on the city center.

I found it in a local bookstore.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good city maps

We just returned from Rome and we used the Streetwise Rome Map. It had every street on it and was so helpful when we were wandering around. I highly recommend it!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
So Cal
Level Contributor
401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good city maps

Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Aside to OSU_2002..Go Bucks! (OSU '80) :)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,071 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good city maps

OMG! I have all of those maps and love them all. Each is a little different and has good points and bad points. I think my fav is the pocket pilot followed by the mapeasy.

Donna

New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good city maps

I found a great little book called "Rome step by step".

Put out by Insight Guides and the Discovery Channel.

Has a very detailed map of the streets and one of the Metro and all the different stops.

Each area has its own chapter, and own map, lists Museums, places to eat, shopping, cultural information & history and night life.

Also give hints as to how long it takes to walk around the different areas.

I'm looking forward to trying it out at the end of the month when I get there.

Mitch

Mentioned in this post
Rome Guides
Rome Guides
718 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good city maps

The Rough Guide map of Rome is excellent. It shows all the streets, including the tiny ones, but its best point is that the "paper" it is printed on it actually a very tough plastic. It doesn't matter if it gets wet, and it's impossible to tear it.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good city maps

I also like the Rough Guide, maps, and also the Insight Maps, both weatherproof, my Insight map is at least 8 years old, well used and still going strong,