We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Baths

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Roman Baths

We are going to Rome on Friday and one of our family want to swim in genuine Roman baths. We live in England and have Roman baths, so I feel sure there will be some in Rome itself but does anyone know where?

Thank you for your help.

Barbara

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Baths

You cannot swim in any of the ancient Roman baths in Rome; none of them has a functioning pool or water system.

The Roman baths in England were small and provincial; the ones in Rome were large and opulent.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,486 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Baths

As Zerlina says, you can't swim in them but you can still visit them. My favorite is the Baths of Caracalla.

Donna

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Baths

Thank you for your replies ladies.

I will tell him, but he loves to swim everyday when on holiday and our hotel does not have a pool.

We are staying at the Hiberia Hotel - do you know of any pools in the area so we can keep him happy.

Thanks again.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Baths

The closest is probably the Roman Sport Center at Villa Borghese. I have no idea whether they admit people without a membership.

Google the name and look under Contacts. It gives an email address and phone numbers.

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman Baths

Thanks Zerlina I'll do that. I'm sure our hotel will know of somewhere nearby.

Barbara

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roman Baths

It's one of those odd things - no one ever seems to suggest that those "doing" Europe might enjoy a visit to the baths at Bath....

http://www.romanbaths.co.uk/

Provincial or not, they are at least open!

Peter

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,781 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roman Baths

Kitty,

Not long now, all the worry about the Icelantic ash problems over with

Have a great time,

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roman Baths

Thank you for your thoughts Sophie, but we are not out of the woods yet. Derek, my husband, has been quite poorly with a lung infection but called doctor out and after taking the tablets he is improving. So we are still keeping our fingers crossed, but we have four days to get him well.

But all being well we are all excited and looking forward to Friday.

Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Barbara

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roman Baths

Not swimming, but maybe a day trip to a spa might be just the thing.

www.lifeinitaly.com/activities/spas.asp

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roman Baths

Sorry eternal city but I'm afraid the member of the party who wants to swim is a very butch male and I can't see him settling for a spa.

Thank you for your message but I will ask the hotel when we arrive, I'm sure they will know of one.

Thanks again.

Barbara