We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

Which area would be better to spend a meal and get the feeling of at night?

I can only choose one but could visit another during the day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,745 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

Why do you have to choose one? I was there this past Saturday night - dinner in one neighborhood, walk around and explore then walk across the Ponte Sisto bridge and head into Campo d'Fiori for a drink and more exploring.

That's what I did - they are right across the river from each other - and the bridge takes about 3 minutes to walk across if walking on through and not stopping to admire the views from the bridge.

Either one is a nice area to spend for dinner and an evening if you just want to do one; both are nice for the daytime as well.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

So you saw both, which one did you prefer? Where is it more lively to eat outside?

I will probably do both since I was not aware they were that close!

Missouri
Level Contributor
484 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

We stayed at Campo, but went to Trastevere three times for dinner. It's a fun, lively area and we really enjoyed it. We ate at or near Campo a couple times too. I suggest that unless you only have one night, you wander both!

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

How long walking distance from Campo Dei Fiori to Piazza Navona?

Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

5 - 10 mins, depending how fast you walk. It's really not far at all. Once you find both, you'll be wanting to haunt both.

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

Ok, and from Pizza Navona to Pantheon?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

Another five minutes.

The historic center of Rome is much smaller than you seem to think it is.

P.S. You can use Google Maps to plot distances and times. Choose On foot or Pedestrian or whatever it's called.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 03:45
san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

it's a short and wonderful walk. they are all in the same general vicinity. i would say maybe 15 - 20 minutes if you don't get sidetracked, but that is what is so wonderful about rome, there are so many places you WANT to get sidetracked that it's very hard to go from point A to point B without meandering a bit. the streets in this area are full of at night and there is a lot of street entertainment. it is not as crowded or as dangerous say as the streets in barcelona so you don't feel pushed along. this is one of my favorite nighttime walks in rome for i would often eat at a inexpensive mom and pop off of piazza navona called navona notte (which i highly recommend for some very good budget basic roman food but it does get busy so go early) and then stroll around for hours afterwards stopping here or there to enjoy beauty of the roman nights. the area around the pantheon is wonderful at night also. if i had my choices of which square to eat in i would pick the pantheon area. the square echos a bit so the sounds are unlike anywhere else in rome.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

forgot to mention the streets in the historic center are all cobblestone so wear comfortable shoes. i have seen roman women wearing heels but they sometimes get stuck between the stones and there goes the heels. one thing i have done i take my good heels in my bag and wear ballet flats to the restaurant and just before i arrive i change shoes (that is, if you are going fancy).

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trastevere or Campo Del Fieri?

We were walking down a cobblestone street in Rome and an Italian woman in stilletos was walking in front of us. All of a sudden she collapsed on the cobblestones in front of us. Whether she stepped down wrong or got her tiny heel stuck in the cobblestone void wasn't clear.