We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angel Tours - My story

Columbus, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Angel Tours - My story

Just returned yesterday and wanted to pass along my story about the much discussed Angel Tours. We booked a tour with them becasue of the good reviews on this Forum. Then all the discussion began about Angel Tours business practices. Although we were concerned, we kept the reservation.

Right on time, 2 tour guides showed up at the oblisk in St. Peter's Square. There were 12 scheduled for the tour. Our family of 4, 2 other families of 4 and a group of 2 showed up, so we were divided into 2 groups for the tour. One guide was a young Irish woman. Our guide was a little older, and Dutch. We giggled about our Dutch guide giving an Italian tour in English!

The tour was fine -- not brilliant, but fine. It actually lasted nearly 4 hours, but it was still a little rushed in parts. If you want to see more of the Vatican Museum than the rooms leading to the Sistine Chapel, you may not want this tour.

We met in the square, then went to the Museum where we purchased our tickets (the guide helped us get "child" and "student" pricing for the kids), and walked out to the courtyard where there are display boards set up for tour guides to discuss the Sistine Chapel with groups. Next we walked through the museum on a direct route to the Chapel, stopping at various paintings and rooms to discuss what was there. After taking our time in the Chapel, we went out of the museum and into St. Peter's. We circled around the perimeter of the church, stopping to talk about the highlights and ended the tour back in the Square.

It was obvious that everyone on the tour had booked it prior to showing up. As I said, it was fine. Not outstanding -- but certainly better than trying to walk through reading the Rick Steves book!!!

Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Angel Tours - My story

Did you get a legal receipt for your tour or did you break Italian law?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angel Tours - My story

To Suzywong

If Travelfam4 broke Italien Law then he was just following the norm as per your own description in another post and I quote;

As for the lighting up in certain places, I reckon this will become more and more the case as Italians start to flaunt the law against smoking as they do with many others laws.It will take so long to catch up and take them to court anyway so who cares in many cases.How many of them stick to speed limits, dodge traffic lights overtake you on double white lines,ignore zebra crossings (they even ignore people crossing so poor zebras have no chance) don't wear seat belts, drink and drive----yes 3 glasses of wine and a grappa and away we go!!! (this is far more dangerous for your health than the odd cigarette after dinner).

Booking with Angel tours would appear to be a much less anti-social or dangerous misdemeanour than most of the other activities indulged in by Italien Nationals themselves and therefore WHY the controvesy?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Angel Tours - My story

Angel Tours claims they are cultural association. The fee is a "cultural association fee." Someone with knowledge of Italian law will have to explain if this is a legal loophole or not because Sean has yet to give us a clear answer.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
368 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angel Tours - My story

Travelfarn4 thanks for your honest feedback regards Angel Tours. If they haven't been driven out by the Witch Hunters before April 06 my family intend to use them while in Rome.

Look forward to hearing more about your trip soon.

Suzywong you really aren't in a position to question others legal/illegal practises given on yet another of your posts the advice you offer is "if all else fails flaunt the law yourself"

-abit rich???

Mission Viejo, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Angel Tours - My story

I am amazed at people's expectations! We too used Angel Tours. We did the Walking Tour of Rome and the Vatican Tour/Cistine Chapel. We had the Irish girl for the walking tour that was only supposed to last 2 hrs but went 3. She is delightful, and MOST informative. Sean did the Vatican tour. We were never rushed, never stood in a line, and if I had had any more information my head would have burst! How much time would you have wanted to spend??!? We missed the Angel Tour for the Colesseum (sp?) and had to pick up a tour from one of the groups that stand around and solicit your business. What a rip off. The tour lasted 40 min and cost more than Angel's that would have lasted 2 hrs and include the Forum. So now we'll just have to go back to Rome and see the Forum. Angel Tours offered to show us the Forum for free but we didn't have any time left. Did we get a receipt? Why would we want one? These arguments against Angel Tours are ridiculous.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
235 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,489 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angel Tours - My story

>> If they haven't been driven out

May be they have since decided to hire properly authorized and qualified guides but forgot to post that fact? hmmmm...

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
368 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angel Tours - My story

Sorry Bibimbob your comment is alittle ambiguous, who may have since decided to hire authorized guides but forgot to post that fact???

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Angel Tours - My story

Just waiting to hear of the first mishap or accident someone may have on one of those tours.

You can gaurantee Angel Tours will be away from the scene in 30 seconds if they are not legal.

As for any sort of compensation------forget it.

Not paying taxes means the poor children in Italy have to suffer cuts in education. Old people don't get heating allowance in Winter. Roads are full of potholes. Hospitals lack emergency equipment etc etc.

Legal companies are forced out of business.

Oh and one more thing would you like some tourist coming to your country and not putting anything into the economy?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angel Tours - My story

Suzy I again agree with you - although your post is perhaps a litte dramatic the point you make is valid. Namby asks if s/he would want a recipt; the question is would s/he need a recipt and the answer is yes. Just because you think everything these people do is great doesn't make it right. There is a difference you know - or do you?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
713 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angel Tours - My story

i'm not starting the discussion all over again, but, i think roma'72 put it perfectly:

"Just because you think everything these people do is great doesn't make it right".

you want to go on? fine by me. it isn't the first broken law in italy and it certainly will not be the last, but don't try to make it look right.