We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

UK
Level Contributor
357 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Rome for 1 day only , I can get transport to St Peter's square from the port for about 40 euros, but I want to go to the Colleseum. Can I walk to it? How far is it? are there metro station near by if walking is not do-able? thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

St.. Peter's Square and the Colosseum are at more or less opposite ends of the central Rome area visited by most tourists.

Either walk to Ottaviano Metro stop, take the Metro to Termini, change Metro lines and take it two stops to the Colosseo stop or go to the Cavaleggeri bus stop (through the colonnade to the left as you face the basilica) and take bus No. 571 direction Labicano to the Colosseo stop. The bus will take longer, but at least it will let you see some of Rome.

UK
Level Contributor
357 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

thank you, do you know how much it costs for a one day metro pass?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

It is 2.2 miles (3.6 km) and takes 46 min to walk according to google. "walkable" means different things to different people.

Google map of Rome

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Piazza San Pietro is the blue amn ont the map. you couod walk to the Ottaviano Metro stops (red balloon). It is a stoo on Metro A. Zoom in and you will see that the Colsseum is the red circle marker,

Go in the direction of Anagnina andget off at Termini. Get on Metro B there goign in the drieciton of Laurentai and 2 sotps down is the Colosseo stop,

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

A one-day Metro and bus pass costs 4 Euro. But for 9 Euro you can buy a day pass that also includes Regionale trains from the port of Civitavecchia to Rome.

UK
Level Contributor
357 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

Wow, Zerlina, 9 euros? thanks I'll look into that. I guess the station is not too far from the port

Calgary
Level Contributor
477 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

If you only have one day to see Rome I'd consider taking a taxi to get from St Peter's to the Colosseum. It will save time and it's not that expensive, should be under 10 Euro. (we took a taxi from just outside the Forum Romanum and paid 6 Euro on a day with little traffic)

You could walk it and use this as an opportunity to get a cursory impression of Rome. But you'd need to calculate around an hour for that walk. More if you stop here and there to take photos.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

Have you though about getting the hop on hop off open top bus? As you are only in Rome for one day, you might get a better feel for what's around you.

http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?id=home

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

Hello Chris49 - I followed your link as I will be going to Rome in July. Can you tell me if this is worth it in conjunction with the RomaPass? I believe the RomaPass allows you free transportation as well. Just wondering if both are worth buying or is their an overlap.

Thanks,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

Hello Chris49 - I followed your link as I will be going to Rome in July. Can you tell me if this is worth it in conjunction with the RomaPass? I believe the RomaPass allows you free transportation as well. Just wondering if both are worth buying or is their an overlap.

Thanks,

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far is it between the Collesseum and St Peter's Square ?

Hi La_Bionda

I’m not really an expert on the Roma Pass as I have never used it. But looking at their website, I think you can use it for three days free transport around Rome. The open top bus is more a tourist route, good for getting a feel for the layout of the city. If you buy the Roma Pass it looks like you can get a 15% discount on the price of the open top bus tour.

Perhaps there is someone out there who could better answer your question …

Edited: 10 May 2010, 20:09