We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over Vatican Opening Time

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion over Vatican Opening Time

We are visiting Rome in a few weeks and have used this forum a great deal to answer many of our questions.

One we still can't quite figure out is what is the fastest way to get into the Vatican museum in the morning. Specifically, we know we can book tickets through the museum itself. But a little confused since the museum website seems to indicate it opens at 9:00 am, but when I go to purchase tickets it is giving me 8:30 as an option. Does that mean we can actually enter at 8:30 or we can just in line to enter at 8:30 so that we can get it as soon as it opens at 9:00?

Also we found a third-party tour through viator that indicates that for a "upgrade fee" the tour starts at 8:10. Can not tell who gives the tour and if we really get into the museum early or it just starts early.

Again, sorry if this has been answered in another post (did not see this exact question), but basically would like understand our options before making reservations.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion over Vatican Opening Time

As for the Viator option, tour groups do get into the museum earlier. Viator would be providing the tour (or sometimes they just get the group in and let you go off on your own). If you get to the museum around 8:30, you should be able to walk right in by 9am without much of a line at all. You didn't mention if you were interested in a tour or if you want to do it yourself. Personally, I would just get there half an hour before opening, get in line and then go in as soon as the doors open. Hope that helps.

Vicki

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion over Vatican Opening Time

You will be visiting Rome in high season; lines will be long even if you go half an hour early. In past years, there have been reports that lines are short at around 1 pm.

I don't know what tour Viator is selling or when it actually gets you into the Vatican Museums, but my guess is that if the Vatican Museums are selling tickets for 8:30 am that is when you will get in.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
850 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusion over Vatican Opening Time

We are here in Rome for a week and visited the Vatican Museums yesterday - Friday, May 14. I thought if we went after 1pm, the line would be really short. We arrived there about 1:40pm and we had a 40 minute wait in line. Not horrible, but longer than I would have expected. The museum, as usual, was very crowded.

4. Re: Confusion over Vatican Opening Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 05:38