We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip for cleaning lady

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tip for cleaning lady

If there is a "tip box" in your apartment, how much would you suggest leaving for a one week stay if you are very pleased with the apartment?

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

Same tip you would leave the housekeeper in a hotel.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

OK, I give. What amount would that be?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

We rarely rent apartments - and haven't see such a thing - but I'd be inclined to wait until I'd seen what the cleaner did!

If it's only emptying the trash and the end-of-rental cleanup, I'd consider that was covered by the rental fee - whereas I'd go to 5 or even 10 Euro for a good tidy daily or every two days, and a little more maybe if they'd truly gone above and beyond the call.

Does seem a liberty though!

Peter

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

We rent apartments and have never seen a "tip box". If it is daily cleaning and we are satisfied with the service we leave 2 euros per night rounded up to the nearest 5 or 10. Whether this is the right amount I don't know.

Edited: 24 May 2010, 23:41
louisiana
Level Contributor
215 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

I had the same question and after doing some research the general answer I found was... hotels/B&B the maids usually get 1-2 Euro a day???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

You don't generally leave a tip at all for the cleaner and I have NEVER seen a tip box or tip envelope anywhere but America. Small hotels are run by the family quite often and the family makes its own arrangements re pay. Bigger places employ staff and pay them accordingly. In an apartment cleaning is usually done once a week when linen is changed etc. I have never stayed longer than a week. If it is a serviced apartment where a maid comes in to make the beds etc, they are still paid a wage. You can leave a bit if you really want but it is not culturally customary to do so.

7. Re: Tip for cleaning lady

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 06:35